Goofy AI Stories

Hey Gang!

I was curious to hear everyones goofy AI stories. You know, really odd things the AI has done to you or is doing to you.

Reason why, I was playing the AI. The russians were overrunning germany. So what does the AI do? Evacuates the Luftwaffe (3, 1-2 point units) to Lybia.

I can just imagine Goring sitting at the Furherbunker.

Goring: "Mein fuhrer, Germany's being overrun... Let's spend MPP to send the luftwaffe to Lybia instead of building new units..."

Hitler: "Sounds good to me!"

Goring: "Duh..."

Then Hitler and Goring headbutt each other screaming "boooooo-yaaaaaa".

How's that for a mental picture?

Thus I am now curious of other bizarre AI moves. What else can I expect?

[ February 06, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Konstatin V. Kotelnikov ]

Hey Gang!

I was curious to hear everyones goofy AI stories. You know, really odd things the AI has done to you or is doing to you.

Reason why, I was playing the AI. The russians were overrunning germany. So what does the AI do? Evacuates the Luftwaffe (3, 1-2 point units) to Lybia.

I can just imagine Goring sitting at the Furherbunker.

Goring: "Mein fuhrer, Germany's being overrun... Let's spend MPP to send the luftwaffe to Lybia instead of building new units..."

Hitler: "Sounds good to me!"

Goring: "Duh..."

Then Hitler and Goring headbutt each other screaming "boooooo-yaaaaaa".

How's that for a mental picture?

Thus I am now curious of other bizarre AI moves. What else can I expect?

[ February 06, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Konstatin V. Kotelnikov ]

I think the AI routinely does bizarre things when Germany invades France.

The drastic withdrawl of airfleets seems to be standard procedure. Just when the remaining defenders need them most they exit to some tropical paradise for a good rest! smile.gif

In several early attemps at 1939 scenarios I'd give the Brits the Wavell HQ at Alexandria only to notice it sailing, alone, right into the Italian fleet in 1940. I learned that you need to pull it away from the port and even interpose other units so it can't easily transport itself.

I think the AI routinely does bizarre things when Germany invades France.

The drastic withdrawl of airfleets seems to be standard procedure. Just when the remaining defenders need them most they exit to some tropical paradise for a good rest! smile.gif

In several early attemps at 1939 scenarios I'd give the Brits the Wavell HQ at Alexandria only to notice it sailing, alone, right into the Italian fleet in 1940. I learned that you need to pull it away from the port and even interpose other units so it can't easily transport itself.

In my last game, playing Axis, the AI decided to invade France, 7-8 transports worth, mostly US troops. This was in '43. I had four u-boats and dished out some punishment to the transports as well as doing a couple of air attacks. I had an Italian army at Brest and another a hex away from the coast, other stuff in reserve, but it wasn't like I had lined the coast with troops by any means.

Next turn, I was quite surprised to see the invasion fleet turn tail and sail away.

Bradley, "Ike, we're taking some losses here. Sure you want to invade ?"

Eisenhower, "Nah, screw it. Let's go home." :D

Funny thing, they sailed all the way back to the US instead of just landing in England.

[ February 06, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

In my last game, playing Axis, the AI decided to invade France, 7-8 transports worth, mostly US troops. This was in '43. I had four u-boats and dished out some punishment to the transports as well as doing a couple of air attacks. I had an Italian army at Brest and another a hex away from the coast, other stuff in reserve, but it wasn't like I had lined the coast with troops by any means.

Next turn, I was quite surprised to see the invasion fleet turn tail and sail away.

Bradley, "Ike, we're taking some losses here. Sure you want to invade ?"

Eisenhower, "Nah, screw it. Let's go home." :D

Funny thing, they sailed all the way back to the US instead of just landing in England.

[ February 06, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

Steve C, that once happened to me 3 times in 1 game! The allies lost so many armies and such just heading toward my coast and getting bashed by air attacks then turning around. It was such a huge waste, but finally they landed.

I think the AI figures it will need so much in order to take france, but doesn't figure for the losses crossing the channel, so when you sink a transport or two it thinks it won't have enough and turn's around. Sadly it costs it self a lot if it does it a few times like in my case.

Steve C, that once happened to me 3 times in 1 game! The allies lost so many armies and such just heading toward my coast and getting bashed by air attacks then turning around. It was such a huge waste, but finally they landed.

I think the AI figures it will need so much in order to take france, but doesn't figure for the losses crossing the channel, so when you sink a transport or two it thinks it won't have enough and turn's around. Sadly it costs it self a lot if it does it a few times like in my case.

I had the AI trapped in the invasion that couldn't land.

I saw the transports pop up along the normandy coast so I operated a bunch of corps and marched others in to fill all the beach hexs.

So next turn the AI heads for the West coast and Bordeaux. Since the units I had were corps they quickly marched and blocked the coastal hexes there.

Next turn the AI went back to normandy. So I marched back.

Then back to Bordeaux went the AI.

Once I had Op'd enough air in from Russia to damage the transports they quit and went home.

I should have just kept marching back and forth and kept them sailing around france. It was so funny.

But of course then one turn I would probably forget to march them to the other coast and the AI would land.

That's my weakness, forgeting to move things like U-boats, the Italians, or whatever.

D'oh.

I had the AI trapped in the invasion that couldn't land.

I saw the transports pop up along the normandy coast so I operated a bunch of corps and marched others in to fill all the beach hexs.

So next turn the AI heads for the West coast and Bordeaux. Since the units I had were corps they quickly marched and blocked the coastal hexes there.

Next turn the AI went back to normandy. So I marched back.

Then back to Bordeaux went the AI.

Once I had Op'd enough air in from Russia to damage the transports they quit and went home.

I should have just kept marching back and forth and kept them sailing around france. It was so funny.

But of course then one turn I would probably forget to march them to the other coast and the AI would land.

That's my weakness, forgeting to move things like U-boats, the Italians, or whatever.

D'oh.