How do you take Malta?

Scott Bowyer

I was playing the demo version of the game and doing pretty well as the Germans until I decided to take Malta just after the fall of France. I spent my extra money on aircraft, with 4 Air Fleets and a Bomber group attacking it, as well

as the whole Italian fleet.

I put the whole war on hold to accomplish this,

and yet, my mid 1941 it still wasn't accomplished!

I kept knocking that British Air Fleet down, and they just built it back up each turn. I think 3 was the lowest I got it to.

In desperation, I even built a rocket battery and sent that down to Sicily. It didn't seem to have any effect, other than knocking down entrenchments.

Could someone please give me step-by-step instrucitons on how to take Malta? I'm sure I

would learn a lot.

I was playing the demo version of the game and doing pretty well as the Germans until I decided to take Malta just after the fall of France. I spent my extra money on aircraft, with 4 Air Fleets and a Bomber group attacking it, as well

as the whole Italian fleet.

I put the whole war on hold to accomplish this,

and yet, my mid 1941 it still wasn't accomplished!

I kept knocking that British Air Fleet down, and they just built it back up each turn. I think 3 was the lowest I got it to.

In desperation, I even built a rocket battery and sent that down to Sicily. It didn't seem to have any effect, other than knocking down entrenchments.

Could someone please give me step-by-step instrucitons on how to take Malta? I'm sure I

would learn a lot.

Scott Bowyer

Hit it with all the airfleets you can spare and all the Italian Navy's surface ships. Keep a transported Axis army corps adjacent to the island. When the defending unit is destroyed unload your transported ground unit (preferably an infantry corps) onto Malta and it's yours.

If your rockets are very high, L-4 or L-5, put three of them in southern Sicily, be sure to protect them with airfleets, and they should do a good job of pummelling Malta into submission.

Don't forget to unload that ground unit and physically take possession of the place; if you don't the Allies can just operate another air unit to it and you're back to square one.

The size, stregnth and nature of the transported unit is immaterial as it doesn't actually fight, so don't waste an army or a tank group, just send an infantry corps.

You can't use an airfleet or bomber or naval unit to occupy a vacant enemy hex; it has to be a land unit.

[ December 04, 2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Scott Bowyer

Hit it with all the airfleets you can spare and all the Italian Navy's surface ships. Keep a transported Axis army corps adjacent to the island. When the defending unit is destroyed unload your transported ground unit (preferably an infantry corps) onto Malta and it's yours.

If your rockets are very high, L-4 or L-5, put three of them in southern Sicily, be sure to protect them with airfleets, and they should do a good job of pummelling Malta into submission.

Don't forget to unload that ground unit and physically take possession of the place; if you don't the Allies can just operate another air unit to it and you're back to square one.

The size, stregnth and nature of the transported unit is immaterial as it doesn't actually fight, so don't waste an army or a tank group, just send an infantry corps.

You can't use an airfleet or bomber or naval unit to occupy a vacant enemy hex; it has to be a land unit.

[ December 04, 2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Vs the AI I typically wait until that air group has launched a few strikes at Tripolitania and goes down in strength to 6 or 7. Then hit it with what you can and keep a corp handy to land. You can accelerate this by attacking another close allied unit with a airfleet and let Malta further reduce itself by intercepting.

Vs the AI I typically wait until that air group has launched a few strikes at Tripolitania and goes down in strength to 6 or 7. Then hit it with what you can and keep a corp handy to land. You can accelerate this by attacking another close allied unit with a airfleet and let Malta further reduce itself by intercepting.

Ok heres what you do grab some bread, wine and some pasta nock on the Malta door and say come get it...... :D

Never mind thats for soemone else...scratch that! :confused:

Ok get 3 Air units the Italian fleet and 1 corp to invade with. Attack the port and reduce it to less than 4 and hit the unit until its gone, once that is done step on with your corp, but in my opinion its a waste of time doing this! The bigger boogie man is in the East :eek: , side shows are a waste of time!!! tongue.gif

Ok heres what you do grab some bread, wine and some pasta nock on the Malta door and say come get it...... :D

Never mind thats for soemone else...scratch that! :confused:

Ok get 3 Air units the Italian fleet and 1 corp to invade with. Attack the port and reduce it to less than 4 and hit the unit until its gone, once that is done step on with your corp, but in my opinion its a waste of time doing this! The bigger boogie man is in the East :eek: , side shows are a waste of time!!! tongue.gif