Technology Sharing

VictorH

I believe for the most part thats how it worked in real life. The Italians never got jets or tigers from the Germans, as the Russians never gave the Western Allies T-34's. The only reason the Americans gave the British some equipment is that they desparately needed it. Even in an Alliance, you dont want to share your tech secrets...

True as far as it goes, but the Roumanians & hungarians did get Pz 4's and Pz Fausts, the Italians got DB600 engines to upgrade their aircraft into some really flash machines, etc., etc.

IMO there's a case for major allies to get reduced costs or increased research effectiveness for their own research programmes, and for minor allies to pick up "obsolete" tech from their major partner - eg to get tech at 2-3 levels behind the major.

Originally posted by Mike:

...and for minor allies to pick up "obsolete" tech from their major partner - eg to get tech at 2-3 levels behind the major.

And for that matter, tech would filter down to the opposition to some degree. Captured vehicles, weapons and planes can speed up ones own research effort. [disclaimer: I am not arguing for or against any changes to SC, just stating a fact/idea]

Originally posted by dasreich:

I believe for the most part thats how it worked in real life. The Italians never got jets or tigers from the Germans, as the Russians never gave the Western Allies T-34's. The only reason the Americans gave the British some equipment is that they desparately needed it. Even in an Alliance, you dont want to share your tech secrets...

True in some cases, but not true in others. The germans assisted Japan in the building of the Nakajima Kikka (Orange Blossom), which was very much like a smaller version of the Me 262. The Japanese also obtained a license to manufacture the Me 163 (they called it the J8M1) and loaded a Komet and a full set of plans onto a submarine to bring back to Japan.

Italy was the second country in the world to fly a jet aircraft, behind only Germany. I don't know if Germany helped the Italians like they helped the Japanese though.