SC2 and Economics

arby

As far as Italy being an Economic power. i think I've covered this before. It's producing near to what Great Britain produces after the fall the incorpation of the Baltics...You take a canal and this or that.. She ends up being a Significant power in the World.

Historical Italy was as about as powerful as historical France, Non-factor... She was not prepped for Was, she didn't have the money after it's Colonial Conquests. She was pretty flat broke from what I remeber...

She wouldn't be much good to anyone with poor leadership, no real expansion of Industry to the degree that other World Powers had done. I.E. Britian, USSR, Germany, USA.

She was a minor and she should be made even more minor.

Liam

Agreed about Italy. Her plans weren't bad, actually, they were just predicated upon the wrong year. Hitler had assured Count Ciano and Mussolini that he wouldn't make a move till the Autumn of 1941. And, at that point they should definitely be ready for war.

Italy didn't actually go bankrupt because of Ethiopia. It was Franco and Spain that did the job. Mussolini correctly anticipate that Spain might be ready to join in a war against England and France after a couple of years recovery time. The reasoning being that Spain would capture Gibraltar leaving Italy to deal with Malta. Meanwhile Mussolini was also trying to move Italian war Industry farther from the French border.

By 1941 Britain and France would no doubt have been stronger themselves, but Italy would no doubt have made more improvement from her 1939 than standards than any other major nation.

After America, Germany and Britain and the USSR, the next bracket would have been Japan, France and Italy. Japan's main stregnth over France and Italy was it's decades of industrial and doctinal dedication to expanding it's Empire. After the first conquests, when losses began taking their toll, it's true international stature became evident. The United States closed a two decades gap in naval armament in two years, then proceded to dwarf it's adversary in every aspect of military production.

Italy may not have been a Major power but she was not a Minor power either. Nor was Japan. But Italy and Japan sufferred the same problems economically, lack of oil.

Within SC, that would make Italy around 60 or 80 MPP (exact numbers are on my Economic Analysis topic).

Even if Italy did conquer other areas, she would not have been able to capitalize on it due to the lack of oil. We don't reflect this in SC.

I know this has been posted on another topic but I think it's important for SC2... And since it's the economic topic...

Should all hexes held by a Major Country have a minimum value?...

Like : (these are only examples)

Plain = 1 MPP...

Swamp/Mountains = 1/2 MPPs...

Forest/River = 2 MPPs...

Desert = 0 MPP...

It would simulate farmlands producing food for industries... Small manufactures here & there... etc...

Minotaur

Should all hexes held by a Major Country have a minimum value?...

Like : (these are only examples)

Plain = 1 MPP...

Swamp/Mountains = 1/2 MPPs...

Forest/River = 2 MPPs...

Desert = 0 MPP...

It would simulate farmlands producing food for industries... Small manufactures here & there... etc...

Technically you are correct. But then you would have to put together a system that allowed for the hexes having no economic value, once they were cut off from the urban area they feed (in terms of food, raw material, etc). In SC Future, if you wanted to develop a different economic model, there are other things that are more important that should be considered before assigning a value to a hex. Things like aircraft production, shipbuilding, heavy production, light production, etc.

As an abstraction, urban areas, ports, mines and oil wells does pretty well representing the strategic importance of a certain area. We just need to make those areas represent different resources that make up our finished goods production.