Ton o' Questions

BriantheWise

ok. I'm playing 1.06. It's a different animal (quote). The rules have changed, and the AI is smarter (much - Rambo, don't go half crackin' my head yet, I'm just testing the new game out...It will be yours to lose on Saturday...Then maybe we can shut you up (but you crack me up. I picture you as the guy who arrives at the formal party in a pink tuxedo)

Anyways.... Questions. And in your opinion

1) My little frenchies have only 66% readiness, and time is short. Does it make sense to buy an HQ, or even, instead of buying research as the English, buy an English HQ, and import him? Is there time?

2) I'm convoying an army across the Med, and I get bombed by an Axis airfleet, stunned. Is this a new smarter feature of the AI, to actually take Egypt?

3) I mentioned the dutch gambit on an earlier thread, wherein the allies take the lowlands, with their bonus, (but decreased war readiness by the big guys) on the third turn (this happens easy, with rebasing of the Engish Malta air force and ignoring, for the most part, the Uboats. It takes all the allies have, I have seen, could be wrong, to take this in one turn). Is this still a bad idea?

4) Italy seems to declare war now, just one turn too late, for my French navy to jam them. Before, I moved all of the fleets down there as fodder and bashed the Italians good, before France surrendered and got two of the fleets back anyway. Since this was AI+2, the Brit carriers bonked the sub, the French hit, but got sunk, and the British fleet finished off, taking bad hits, but no Italian worries. Now, my french fleet seem to dissappear, just when they are ready to do some damage. Question: Should I leave them up north and bang at the German units that get stuck up on the coast?

5. It was discussed before, but I have to ask again...

Iraq seems like a low hanging apple for the Western Allies. But if you do all that, it seems like you won't have enough to do the Norway/Sweden gambit and take those countries. And then they are stuck, down there. Is it worth it?

6. Follow up: If you do that, and then after take the Brit army up into Russia, to assist with stopping the nazi horde, is it worth it? It seems like the AI is more focused on killing units on the Eastern front. If I land them with a few Americans at Brest, it seems like there is less resistance. In Russia, they get ground up.

7. How much should the Brits invest in defending France? I use one corp, the one beginning in England. To date, I have never used either the British or French air fleet, except while trying the Dutch gambit, which doesn't work against AI+2, but could work again Romping Rambo. Maybe.

Last: How did Hubert create a game such as this? After the patches, it is so excellent. Was he hit by a truck? Mowed down by a pack of rabbits?

Levity, from me has been crushed before (my fault!) by moon face. But still I have to say this game was pretty good before, and its darn excellent now.

Last last: How to I change my moniker to Brian the Humble. I may have to, or more likely Rambo will have too.

Thanks for letting me share.

as for the allies reinforce the russian front question, it's all about the airpower

if the axis have 10 air fleets on the russian front and the allies deploy ground units there then there is no effort for the axis to bomb the hell out of them since the air is already there

i think the key objective for the western allies is to take the heat off the russians by forcing the axis to redeploy air from the east to deal with invasions in the west - if you just send units to the eastern front via iraq then this allows the axis to concentrate on the east

for the defense of france question, when playing against the AI i reinforce france some, but i make sure to get the units out before france falls

when playing against the human i try to get as many french ground units into britain as possible while still trying to maintain a historical fall of france date

usually i can get out a french HQ and 3-4 armies while madly building hedgehog corps around paris