First Impressions of SC

Jestre

Okay, now that I have my first few games of SC under my belt, a few impressions. I have been a wargamer for decades, started with AH's Afrika Korps and Guadalcanal and graduated up to SSI/SPI and all their great games. SC is a wonderful throw back to those great games I grew up with. I absolutely love it. Play is smooth, easy to learn, fun and fairly challenging. All the game mechanics mesh nicely. One thing I have noticed though is the immense impact that the research engine has on ones progress. The one game I lost in my first playings was when I had absolutely no luck in gaining research advances. I must of had but 1 or 2 advances total through 1942, even though I had all 10 points invested by then. It does make it quite interesting though as it adds some uncertainty to things. All in all this is one of the most enjoyable new games I have played in quite some time.

[ December 05, 2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Jestre ]

Resource point allocation is an intersting by product to your thread. Do most of you:

A: Load up with 5 points in two catagories? The intention being to try to max them out quickly so you can take those 10 points and load up on the next two.

B: Divide them up into your own personal preference but hoping to get a number of various upgrades at once? So you may divide them 2-2-2-2-2 or 3-2-1-1-1-1-1-..whatever...

What strategy for point allocation do most of you use?

Dump as much into Tech as u can. After that pick your preferance. At the higher difficulty settings playing vs the AI your on such a shoestring of MPP to begin with that you really need to reduce your units costs if you hope to survive.

Jestre: I compeletly agree, its crack on a cd-rom!