Stalemate in Russia

gerryandersson

I found if you spread you forces out in Russia, battling for cities from up North all the way down South and everything in-between...your success may take a long time, and may even face defeat.

The last time I invaded Russia, I attacked strong through the middle and sent a group north and a group south (Both with accompanying HQ's).

I struck deep South with my panzer units and took the two mining hexes down there. I pulled the tanks back and replaced them with armies from the minor countries. My intention down there was simply to keep the Russians at bay. I left the Southern part of Russia 'as is'.

Up North I directed my main offensive, and slowly moved East to eventually come down onto the central Russian cities. I eventually brought panzers from up North and surrounded the central cities, eliminating many Russian corps and armies.

I like focusing a strong offensive in either the Northern or Southern parts of Russia. In the meantime, pick away at the central cities (Stalingrad and the like) and keep the Russians from breaking out. Once you can break through the North or South, you can bring those troops towards the center and surround the Russians and collapse their defensive lines. Concentrate an offensive to the north or south, and keep a 'stalemate' war going everywhere else until you can break through with your offensive.

First of all, you should expect stalemates. They are a part of your campaign in Russia.

The way I break stalemates is by finding the weak spots in the russian line. Usualy the weak spot is where u can attack with three or more units. Or a unit that is not at full strenght.

First use the airforce to remove their entrencement. Attack the (now) weakende unit(s) with two or more armies. Use the rest of the airforce to kill it of. Then move your tanks through the hole in the russian line, and envelop and attack the russian line from behind as well as with our armies from the front.

Don't try to take the cities but to cut of the cities from supply and surround them with armies to kill them off.

If you can cut a line all the way to the east part of the map between Moscow and Caucasus, the russian will lose the mpp for Caucasus.

/Morten Kay

Avoid attacking off of river hexes unless absolutely necessary.

Also cities can be tough to conquer. You often need air support and attacks from several sides, but its key to take the cities out quickly since they can be a source of replacements for the Russians. I often find that my attacks bog down around the cities and once I conquer the city hexes my advance continues.

As other posters have stated a stalemate in Russia is a norm in most cases, but that doesn't mean you can't break that stalemate.

When I am ready to attack Russia I typically have 6-8 Tank Groups packed into a tight group ready for a break through. Weaken the Russian line with air units, make a hole with Infanty and flood the area with tanks. This strategy is just as solid for any of the Russian lines they create to stop you.

Don't immediately attack a city, destroy the surrounding units first to maximize the number of units you can throw against a city, surround the city, reduce its entrenchment, then move in with infantry.

I think mobility is the key in most cases, encircle units, reduce their supply, readiness, and entrenchment and they stand NO chance against you.