Terrrain effects on attackers

Col. Kurtz

I have some newbie questions concerning terrain effects on attackers. 1). Do air units located on swamps, mountains, forests or rivers have any reduction in their attack strength? 2). Do air units in these hexes have any reduction in their interception strength? 3) Do air units located in cities have any increase in their interception strength? 4) If research advances have been made in anti-aircraft does this increase the interception strength of aircraft located in cities? 5) Does a ground unit still suffer a 50% reduction in attack strength when attacking from a river hex if the defender is on the same river?

Hello Col.Kurtz,

these are good questions smile.gif .

- air units located in Swamps get their attack strength halved. So if they attack a ground unit, they only do 50% damage. Same if they intercept an enemy AF: then they also do only 50% damage. In case they will be intercepted, they are the defenders and therefore defend with 100% effectiveness.

- all other Terrain (Mountains, Swamp, Forest etc) has no effect concerning the attack strength of an AF located there

- Terrain effects for the defender when attacked directly - thats a different story - are listed for each unit/terrain type in the manual.

- AFs can benefit from Anti-Air tech when placed on a ressource (city, mine, oilfield) or in a fortress. Both when they are attacked directly or when they force an enemy AF to intercept, they receive the Anti-Air bonus.

- ground units attacking from a river get their attack value halved. The defender has no disadvantage except they cant entrench.

Summary:

Dont place your AFs in Swamps, its the only terrain with disadvantages for AFs located there !

So the answers to your questions are:

1 + 2)in Swamps: yes

all other terrain: no

3 + 4) no (no effect when your AF from the city intercepts, but if you attack something and force an enemy AF to intercept, your defence value will be increased by the AA Bonus)

5)yes, for the attack strength it doesnt matter where the defender is.

I can answer to only these.

And I think I'm right in these ones, and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong;

3) Air units located in cities get increase in their interception if you have some anti-aircraft tech.

4) already answered in number 3

5) Yes, they do receive the same 50% penalty when attcking