Some thoughts

Reepicheep

Howdy, all- first post here. :cool: I've enjoyed the game immensely, and am anticipating a series. :D Thanks, Hubert! smile.gif

From my experiences with the game and from what I've read, here are a few suggestions or support for other ideas I've seen (in no particular order):

#1. Research is powerful, but too random; and there is little strategy involved. To achieve a similar effect, one might give the Axis a one in a hundred chance of winning after each turn instead. smile.gif (It reminds me of the heavy-bomber tech imbalance in Axis & Allies.) I have seen some interesting proposals to remedy it, though I have none of my own. I do think some randomness should be removed, and more strategy added.

#2. I think the air-defense tech should apply to most ground units.

#3. I would like to see an assault option for armies, infantry, and tanks. Basically, it would be a high-casualty battle in which the attacking unit attempts to move into the defending unit's hex at all costs.

If it wins, either the defending unit surrenders, retreats, or is destroyed outright. If the attacker loses, it is repulsed with high casualties. Trouble is, I don't know how realistic that is. But it does seem odd that a 1-strength corps can keep an overstrengthed tank group from moving into the hex.

#4. I agree that sub-warfare needs to be changed.

#5. Surface-raiders would be cool. smile.gif Seems odd that only subs can attack supply convoys.

#6. Carrier planes' invulnerability to damage from armies, tanks, and corps seems odd (and can give them a tremendous experience advantage). I'd say carriers need some tweaking. One major option- make carriers separate from the air fleets they carry.

#7. A possibility (not sure about its realism)- add aerodromes to the map, and make them purchasable, attackable, and repairable. If they are reduced to a certain point, air fleets should no longer be able use them. And air fleets shouldn't be able to land anywhere but functioning aerodromes or carriers.

#8. Adding oil as a consumable and necessary supply would increase the realism of the game, and help prevent air fleet abuse,as has been pointed out.

#9. Force units to be manually upgraded to the latest tech.

#10. Add a 'maximum-strength refit' button.

#11. Increase the map-size as much as possible. smile.gif

Overall, I'd like to see SC keep it's simple-but-fun gameplay, yet be as realistic as possible. And I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. :cool:

Let me give my two cents worth:

$.01 Allow headquarter units the ability to coordinate multiple unit attacks for units under its influence. Also, allow the player to assign/reassign units to a headquarter unit.

$.02 Let the player set units' combat "posture." For example, attack (advance), engage (hold), hold (no retreat), withdraw (retreat before combat). The default would be "engage," for instance, as it is now in the game. Note that a unit in "attack" mode might be more susceptible to counterattack, etc.

Thanks for a great game, Hubert!

My biggest beef so far is research. I would propose a progressive research method.

IE: you need 100 research points to get an advance.

Keep the chits, but each chit gets you 2-5 points of research each turn. So at max chits you know for sure you'll get an advance every 4-10 turns.

There is still an element of luck involved, but it is much better than an idependant roll each turn. Which can throw games into a real mess if one player gets very lucky and the other does not.

Originally posted by Flashblade:

My biggest beef so far is research. I would propose a progressive research method.

IE: you need 100 research points to get an advance.

Keep the chits, but each chit gets you 2-5 points of research each turn. So at max chits you know for sure you'll get an advance every 4-10 turns.

There is still an element of luck involved, but it is much better than an idependant roll each turn. Which can throw games into a real mess if one player gets very lucky and the other does not.

Yes agree, been suggested here before, but bears

repeating: the current tech system Has No Memory...

John DiFool

Originally posted by John DiFool:

Yes agree, been suggested here before, but bears

repeating: the current tech system Has No Memory...

Exactly what i'm getting at... it also makes it very difficult to research many different things at once. Another addition that would promote research in multiple areas is "Full Investment" (as seen in HC), the first chit gives you 50% of your max research in a given area, the 2nd 75%, the 3rd 87.5% etc...

This would mean that investing 5 in heavy tanks would be much less worthwhile than investing 2 in Jets and 5 in heavy tanks.

Originally posted by Reepicheep:

Howdy, all- first post here. :cool: I've enjoyed the game immensely, and am anticipating a series. :D Thanks, Hubert! smile.gif

Reep:

Glad to see you on board! I've kept up with several thousand(!) of your posts at JP's Panzers as well as your stuff in the famed "Panzer's Weekly".

Great to have your experience in this forum, dude.

- Holzem

P.S.: Be sure and pick up some killer mods for SC. My own mod, "SC Elite Edition", can be found

here . The actual link to download is further down towards the middle of the page. Also check out JMBunnelle's excellent iconset which can be located here . My own icons (included in the "Elite Edition" download) use military symbology whereas JM's have graphic representations of actual tanks, planes, etc. Have fun and enjoy! smile.gif

Welcome Aboard Reepicheep. I agree about the tweaks. I especially like the AERODROMES. That sound much cooler than airfields! ;)

I too think that aircraft should only operate out of them, and not be able to land on top of mountains or dense forest. (except those German gyro-copter attack squadrons)

I agree that in a future SC there should be more emphasis on resources. The upgrades too should not be automatic, but player should make it an action (that possibly cost a little). This would work well to then allow the thought of Technology Capturing. {see the past link on that if interested}

Hubert has a fine game here and there does seem like a lot of possibilities.