Question On Sub Spotting?

Fubarno

What are the rules for spotting subs with different units? I looked through the manual but could not find the definitive answer.

Obviously a ship adjacent to a sub will spot it. Also, I noticed that a carrier group spotted a sub from a 2 hex distance, or will it spot from further? How about air groups and bomber groups spotting range for subs? Will a sub be spotted cruising next to hostile coastline, occupied or un-occupied by enemy units?

Does increased sub technology decrease spotting ranges? I have heard that it increses the chance for a sub to dive and avoid combat but what about spotting.

Does sonar technology increase the chance for spotting a sub? Again I know that it improves ones killing ability against subs.

Sorry for all the questions butI can't seem to gleen this info from the manual. :rolleyes:

Hey, okay, since nobody will answer my question I'll have to figure it out for myself and anyone else who didn't feel like experimenting with hotseat and FOW on. Here's the 411!

Aircraft carriers spot subs two hexes out.

Bombers spot subs 5 hexes out, making them great for sub hunting in addition to their other duties, making them much more worthwhile in my eyes now. They're effective in bombing subs too.

Fighters spot subs four hexes out.

Cruising a sub next to hostile territory will not cause the sub to be spotted unless a land unit is adjacent.

Advanced sub technology and sonar only effect combat and not spotting.

I think I answered all of my own questions. To everyone else, thanks for nothing. tongue.gif

As originally posted by Fubarno:

I think I answered all of my own questions. To everyone else, thanks for nothing. tongue.gif

Gee, slow down a little, huh? It was a whole 7 hours between your two posts. ;)

Some of us don't monitor every hour on the hour, we gotta do in-particular things, like:

-Tie our shoelaces,

-Take the (... extremely reluctant) cat out for a walk,

-Water the garden -- you should see the Morning Glories! They are exquisite today!

-Kiss the sweetheart hello or good-bye,

-And, punch the ol' Time Clock, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the information. It is appreciated smile.gif

Now, if someone with graphic skills would just make a SC map relief that highlights the prime surface raiding areas of the Atlantic and Mediterannean for us novice untersee warfare admirals (hint, hint, somebody?).

The British bomber unit can be flown to either the tip of Cornwall, Belfast region of Ireland (no supply though), or operationally moved to Canada and effectively eliminate any chance the sub packs have of surface raiding and avoiding the allied navy.

As originally posted by Fubarno:

The British bomber unit can be flown to either the tip of Cornwall, Belfast region of Ireland (no supply though), or operationally moved to Canada and effectively eliminate any chance the sub packs have of surface raiding and avoiding the allied navy.

Very nice -- I have been mostly playing the Axis in campaign '39, since there is more to do in the first couple years, and a greater challenge overall, and so hadn't worked out a lot of Allied tactics, but that is a pretty good plan.

Once in a while I had disbanded the Brit bomber to help pay for Montgomery, thinking that I would have no use for the SB until '43 or '44, but yours is a good tactic. Occasionally I had operated it to Egypt to help against the Italian navy.

This underscores the need for more convoy routes, say -- from USA and South America (Venezualan oil!) so that the "small ocean" can be easily expanded. You would have to somehow account for Lend Lease and off-board resources, but hopefully that can be included in SC-II.

Anything to help us more faithfully re-enact the Battle of the Atlantic would be well received by me. :cool: