Amphibious Landing Unit (or, From the Shores of Immer Etwas!)

JerseyJohn

Thanks for your answer Bill. (SC or SC2)

There are eleven items in the research chart. 12 would be an even dozen. If you took a pole about 5 of these catagorizes, I think that you would find that, Adv. Subs, sonar, rockets, never get points, and rarely points for bombers and gun radar. If Amphibious Assult was the only way you could advance on a beach, then you would have to spend MMP's on the technology.

I respect your opinion about the game, but must disagree that not much research went into Amphibious Landings.

Troop ships had to be standardized to accomidate the Higgins boats, LST's became so important that Ike postponed Normandy from May to June because he couldn't get enough LST's until June for Normandy. The DUWK unloaded most of the supplies off of Omaha after the June storm. Swimming tanks, the experience of Dieppe, the training of Paratroops, the Mulberries, UDT, Commando's, Rangers, and Engineers were all specialized and training for the Normandy landing along with all the research for all these items to work. That training took about six months before the landing.

How about a special Landing HQ, that could supply troops like a port! It only last four turns before being removed. You must capture a port after that. It would exist offshore so that it didn't occupy a land hex.

Level 0 no landings, L1 a weak Corps, L2 a stronger Corps,etc... L5 D-Day landing unstoppable.

Fair enough guys! I really don't mean to argue, just offer alternative ideas.

JJ, if you read between the lines of what Hubert has been saying, SC is not likely to see any more significant enhancements. That's not to say another patch isn't possible to fix some minor bugs or update the code for DirectX v9 or something. I'm not expecting any more development work on SC. Of course, Michael Jordan came out of retirement (surprise!), so anything's possible. ;)

[ March 05, 2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Bill Macon ]

Bill

Well put. I've been crossing my fingers on all this. If he goes as far as expanding the scenario editor I'll be pretty satisfied.

Not trying to make it an argument; sometimes I get carried away. What it amounts to is, should Hubert choose to upgrade this version he now has plenty of ideas. If he doesn't he's got those same ideas for the more sophisticated version. Either way we come out ahead.

Like that other Fellow, Hubert tends to work in mysterious ways. smile.gif

[ March 05, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]