General Comments from a NEWBE

Yogi

I recently purchased SC, have played a few times and at least browsed through the discussion forum before deciding to make my first post. Hopefully it will be of some interest to both new and veteran SC players.

1) I should preface my comments with I'm very happy with my purchase and love the game. I like graphics and sound as much as the next guy, but give me a good strategy game over them any time. I started wargaming with the classic Avalon Hill boardgames in the 1960's.

2) Yes, often people will post discussion items that have been covered before, but isn't that what a new person who is interested does?

3) Why let bragging bother you? If you play the person you can't lose. If they win, you did pretty good for being up against such great odds and if you win the bragger has crow to eat and/or has to acknowledge you as one of the greatest of all time. Likewise for those poor people who just have to insult others, they can't brag when they win over a nothing and if they lose, victory is all the sweeter for the winner.

4) RESEARCH - I'd like to see this as more of an option. Why not allow it to be like entry into the war with a historical setting choice. I like "what ifs" but I also like historical abilities. Always seeing the jet plans fly in large numbers in 1943 or before is not the way I recall it being. Perhaps the industrial advance for some is a similar problem.

5) The ability in some cases to be able to fully refit an army totally surrounded with no supply (weapons or soldiers) logicaly in place is another accuracy question. Perhaps zones of control can help here. (remember the old boargames including AH 3rd Reich)

6) It might be nice to be able to represent the historical generals without paying for them. The game makes it seem that some historical figures must have died in 1939 or something or decided to demand high pay or no play. (Maybe Hitler would have executed them early in that case)

7) Wouldn't it be nice to decide if you want to intercept enemy planes or fleets instead of having it automatic? Don't real generals get to make the decision of if & when they feel it is worth the loss?

8) Keep up the good work battlefront! I hope you can stay in the market and produce many fine games for the future.

9) I hope I didn't waste your time with my comments. I look forward to learning the game and strategy from those of you with much more experience and ability than I.

Welcome to the Forum Tom.

Glad to see you are from the most incredibly awesome state of Wisconsin. I originally hail from Rhinelander.

I have been to a lot of boards where new people were afraid to post questions because they saw the way others got chewed up and spat out.

Just because it's been asked 10000 times doesn't me they should be answered with "look it up".

As I remind the fellars in my reenacting units, remember we were all new once.

Enjoy the game!

-dave

Yeah all thats been said before. smile.gif JK

3) Why let bragging bother you? If you play the person you can't lose. If they win, you did pretty good for being up against such great odds and if you win the bragger has crow to eat and/or has to acknowledge you as one of the greatest of all time.
Yeah i rembember someone stateing they were gonna make me famous when i was spanking them lol.

As far as saying what a great game it is. I believe Hubert can never hear that enough smile.gif I know when i toil away at something i can never hear enough thank you's smile.gif

BTW welcome to the board.

If u haven't noticed already there is a 1.06 patch that makes some nice improvements and adds TCPIP support! And there is a opponents Forum from the main Battlefront forum.

Guequierre

You set a good example by buying the game and playing it and posting. We have a bunch of chinchilas with registraion numbers 10,000 places lower than yours who downloaded the demo then spent the next nine months starting forums like ALMOST READY TO BUY THE GAME! . Thus generating a plethora of barely containable excitement for the rest of us. tongue.gif

Glad you're in. smile.gif Tough luck having to live in Wisconsin but heh, it could have been much worse, you could have been here in my own beloved (like hell) New Jersey! :eek:

[ December 26, 2002, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Thanks to those who responded I just downloaded 1.06, no time yet to see any difference.

Dave - I do know Rhinelander from many visits over the years - great place. My son previously worked for the TV station (channel 12) as well :cool:

Jersey - to respond to the immortal quote you use (wherever you go there you are) also remember the next time the Germans are approaching Moscow - Head to the roundhouse, because they can't corner you there! :D

Guequierre and Compassion

You have both given me excellent advice here -- I'm moving to Moscow to raise Chinchillas in a corner. Sounds good, if I get prosperous enough I may also open a sombraro factory! :D

Compassion -- excellent photo of that noble beast. As you understand, buying the game removes a person from the thinking of maybe someday buying the game group. Still, I love their announcements -- been playing the demo since April and might possibly buy the game any time now! Those things just cause too much excitment! tongue.gif

[ December 27, 2002, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Ah...the member numbers are for these forums as a whole, and not just the SC forum. Makes sense of course, but I hadn’t thought of that explanation as to why all of our SC crew had high member numbers (though I too bought CM first and joined the forum for it, it was still recently).