Help for a new player.

Curry

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I thought in this forum with all of you brilliant players we could find some help.

I'm trying to help a new player play a game via email. However he has been having troubles getting the game to work on his computer. I'm a computer challenged person and so I was wondering if someone here could help us.

He says, "Hi - sorry to be a pain but I've downloaded it but nothing's showing in my PBEM directory when I load the game - what am I doing wrong? still can't get your file to appear when I load SC - I've downloaded it and saved it to PBEM but can't get it to work. Sorry this is very frustrating"

Any help? THANKS

I've had problems getting it to run on my Pentium II machines, which are both about 160, around ten times slower than the newer Pentium IVs. It works perfectly on my new machine. There might be a point below which the game just doesn't run properly.

I think you'd be better off in the Technical Forum where Hubert answers these things himself.

Easy solutions are often the right solutions...I also think in the same direction as Blashy.

Most probably he didnt unzip the file, or simply put it in a wrong directory - perhaps he wanted to copy it into PBEM but misclicked...

Because as far as I know he could see it in SC even if the file would be corrupt, you two had different/incompatible versions, or the file is set read only (other common sources of problems).

Another possibility: the file is write only, but I dont think so, I never read this ever happened before...it would be a premiere ;) .

It is possible that you have different versions installed.

In some recent games my opponents had a different version and when I put his file into the PBEM folder and started the game I couldn't find the file listed in the PBEM directory of SC.

When he updated his version it worked.

You should also make sure that the file's ending is .sav

Once I renamed an oponent's filename and tried to load it in the PBEM directory when I found out that I couldn't see it :D .

Then I checked the filename and added .sav to it and magically it appeared in SC thereafter.

Feldtrompeter