Greetings and a couple of noob questions.

ChuckK

Hi Folks,

Just a quick hello, I downloaded the demo last weekend and had enough fun to order it on Monday. So far, I've been late to work every day since it arrived trying to get 'just one more turn' in before heading out the door.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a hot-key that will display all of a unit's values (Spotting, Sritke Range, Soft Attack, Tank Attack, etc)?

2. How do I keep an invasion force 'in-supply.' When landing a large force in Norway as Germany my units quickly go out-of-supply. Do I send an HQ unit with them?

Thanks

Originally posted by ChuckK:

1. Is there a hot-key that will display all of a unit's values (Spotting, Sritke Range, Soft Attack, Tank Attack, etc)?

No... But you can go into 'Research' and select the unit type you want to check... You'll see it's statistics to the right... This list is updated as your research progress...

Originally posted by ChuckK:

2. How do I keep an invasion force 'in-supply.' When landing a large force in Norway as Germany my units quickly go out-of-supply. Do I send an HQ unit with them?

Yes... 2 things can supply your units: A city you control and a HQ...

Check the Acrobat User Manual (page 48) for all supply distances...

No. Maybe because in Strategic Commander, these values are same for the same type of unit regardless the amount damage a unit has suffered. Only in the final formulas (page 17 of the manual) terrain, strength, exp, etc are considered to calculate the unit losses

HQ can become a temporary supply point, however it will run out of supply too if you don't capture a supply point (example: city/port) in the invasion area soon. This is an important factor in Strategic Commander, the unit readiness depends on the availability of supply point and the distance between them.

Originally posted by Dolphin:

HQ can become a temporary supply point, however it will run out of supply too if you don't capture a supply point (example: city/port) in the invasion area soon. This is an important factor in Strategic Commander, the unit readiness depends on the availability of supply point and the distance between them.

Can you point to a rule on that? Looked through the manual and the errata sheet and found only static supply levels listed for support... When fighting extended campaigns in Iraq (for example) with weakened brit troops, supply levels stay the same from turn to turn with an HQ nearby.

In North Africa, as the British, I controled Tobruck in an unbroken link to Alexandria (not necessary but in effect) and the Wavell HQ was only several hexes west but the units attached to it seemed ineffectual. The Italian army, no HQ, which left the city and had no problems at all against an HQ linked British Army. An adjacent British tank group was unable to flank the Italian unit and capture the undefended city. Absolutely ridiculous!

[ February 28, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

SUPPLY VALUES

Unit Location Unit's Supply Value

<= 10 Action Points to HQ....HQ Supply - Shortest Distance

<= 10 Action Points to Friendly/Occupied City....City Strength - Shortest Distance

The supply values for those cities that you were in are 5, thus the HQ max would be 5. The best possible supply then for your units is 4, and that is if they are right next to a city or to your HQ, otherwise they may have been at 1 or 2 supply.

Mountains and Marsh further reduce supply. Movement the previous turn also reduces supply.

[ February 28, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: KDG ]

Thanks all, good stuff.

Maybe because in Strategic Commander, these values are same for the same type of unit regardless the amount damage a unit has suffered.
Now that's something I didn't know and makes a difference in how I approach things. smile.gif