screws up my desktop

Garvey123

Originally posted by husky65:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Priest:

Hmm Garvey if XP is so wonderful (cannot believe that anyone would have to stoop to DOS OS to try to prove that point) then why do I have zero issues with Win2k and Win98? Hmm maybe because XP is flawed?

When I used Win 95/98 over the years I reinstalled the OS about 50 times.

Since I installed XP I've not needed to reinstall and in that time I replaced my Motherboard, CPU and RAM and only had to reset the HAL to make it work.

XP is so superior to a Win 98/2K dual boot that it is amazing - XP isn't perfect, no OS is but 98 is really bad and dual booting a system adds unneccesary complication.</font>

Hear hear Husky, but I don't think the staff is the only ones.

Originally posted by Priest:Obviously WinXP is doing something different which may be a bug"

LOL :D (snipped the rest, I think what you say just simply speaks for itself)

Priest, let's move on from this issue (and don't call yourself expert again :D ) and start planning a match. Now, when I beat you, I can laugh on hysterically picturizing you smashing the monitor and yelling

"GODDAMN ITS A BUG IN THE COMPUTER!!! LET ME TRY MAC OS!" :eek:

mwhahahaha

...and then when I loose on purpose, your expert opinion will go:

"I never win SC when Im playing on a Windows computer. But I always win when Im playing on a Mac computer, so take my expert opinion, uninstall Windows and install Mac OS on it. Trust me, I am a computer expert, I have a building full of people saying it is impossible to win SC on a Windows machine!! "

LOL :D

~Norse~

[ July 21, 2002, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Norse ]

Thanks WWB and Norse I would like to let it drop but folks like Husky have zero clue.

Husky are you fully Microsoft Certified?

No I thought not. XP is crap, I am just trying to help everyone who is having issues. If you want to use it fine, just realize that you are putting yourself through issues that non-XP users are not having for no reason other than your own stubborness. I am sure Hubert will do his best to facilitate you but even the greatest car mechanic in the world cannot fix a Pinto if you get my meaning.

:D Thanks for the suggestion about changing the properties of the shortcut to emulate win 98/me. It now works fine and leaves my desktop intact.

As a long time gamer who loves Third Reich, Paths of Glory, even Axis & Allies ;) this game is great! Can't wait to try with PBEM

Priest, don't get me wrong, I thought the "solution" of uninstalling the operative system was really funny nothing else. I agree though, Win2000 is good, but IMO WinXP is good as well. Let's lean back and enjoy another round of this demo while we're waiting on the cd's to get shipped :D

~Norse~

ps Linux Ãœber Alles!! :mad: *tramp-tramp*

I'm a Win 98 user and I DO have problems.

I have the same problem that Garvey has - ie the icon bar at the bottom of the screen disappears. I use the "window" key to bring it up when I need it.

The one that irritates me tho is that incoming messages (MSIM, ICQ, etc) do not display over the top of SC.

Originally posted by Priest:

"Husky are you fully Microsoft Certified?"

You do know that MS certification has zero real world value as an indicator of knoledge and is simply purchased in most cases don't you?

Or do you prefer not to admit that?

" XP is crap, I am just trying to help everyone who is having issues. "

Every OS has issues, XP has way less than most MS OSes.

"If you want to use it fine, just realize that you are putting yourself through issues that non-XP users are not having for no reason other than your own stubborness. "

Yes, the terrible (and only) issue of having to run a 3rd party utility to reset my icons for a week or so, that was fixed by changing one setting in XP.

Oh, how I sob at night over that and wish daily I could go back to the BSOD fest and monthly reinstalls of Win95/98 rather than change one setting in XP.

If you are looking at a decent OS upgrade, get XP and ignore this clown.

Wow Husky you have proven you are an idiot in one post, that is truly amazing.

Okay Husky here is what we know about you now, you cannot setup a Win95/98 box properly. We also know you are not Microsoft Certified and we can also assume that you do not work in a computer related field.

Now do you have any formal training on the building and configuring of a PC? Have you built your own PC or using a pre-built one as I have mentioned before, if so then you may not even be using the same version of XP that you are touting others to use? You had to change one setting to get XP to work for you (that being emulating Win98 functions lol!) but I had to change zero settings to have it work on Win2k.

Your arguments make zero sense, you have no authority on the subject and if Microsoft Certs are soooo easy to get why do you not have one. I could honestly care less about little people like you but the last thing that needs to happen is someone looks at your post, takes it for granted that you know what you are talking about (you do not) and tries to install something that is not what is needed or is very good. And just for your information I can back up those certs with experience in the field (with companies like Cisco) and a college degree in IT Administration. So Husky until you get anywhere near this please shut the hell up and stop speaking utter nonsense that may effect other people and let the real people who have real knowledge and real experience and real training and schooling fill in the details for folks.

Basically right now you are trying to argue the sky is not blue, so stop, you are just making a fool of yourself.

Guys, knock it off! I probably have more IT certs than any normal human with a girlfriend should ever be allowed but that doesn't mean squat if I can't fix the problem when a system goes belly up or an application doesn't behave the way I wanted it to. The same applies here.

Certifications ARE benchmarks, that much is true. The level of the benchmarks is sometimes questionable. I have worked in configuration centers that had pools of MCSE and even Master MCSE guys that couldn't troubleshoot a system problem to save their lifes, and on the other hand I know guys that could care less about a cert that would run circles around the best and brightest that MS or Novell could ever produce.

Knowledge is knowledge gentlemen and it doesn't matter how you aquire it, it's in how you IMPLEMENT it that is important.

Now, lets get back on track here.

Madmatt

[ July 22, 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]