Radar

Liam

Watching a show about the perfection of Radar during 1940 by the British. Aligned with the Americans they created quite a sophisticated tool for that era. The Magnatron they developed which later gave way to even the Microwave Oven tongue.gif was better than anything that the Axis had.

Although I know both sides used Radar on ships and planes and even land based Radar. I wonder if Germany had been a bit more patient about war during the early years. Perfecting the fighters, their radar systems<understanding radar> Even just a year or two... That the Battle of Britian and the Air War would've been a much different prospect. Nothing else would've changed 'that' much. Although that was a pretty serious invention. I know that during the early years noone was planning increased mobilization. There probably would've have been any more French or British to fight a year down the road. Giving the German Navy and Airforce a valuable tool by the old fashioned was of sharing technology. Perhaps just the better understanding of this device would've been a grave difference when you're talking about 4-1 3-1 #s over Britian WW2

[ August 21, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Liam ]

I don't think the Germans understood much about British anti-aircraft radar. I know the early German gunnery radar was the best in the world, but the British were able to study it firsthand when the Graf Spee was scuttled in shallow water late in 1939.

Just prior to invading Poland Germany sailed a derigible, I believe it was the Graf Zeppelin, around the British coastline with the idea of pinpointing the UK radar stations, but the effort was a failure, the slow moving craft's metal frame made it easy for the Brits to jam their frequencies!

I have to agree with your basic premise, a couple more years of peace would have benefitted Germany as it might have perfected it's jet fighters and gotten them into production along with improving it's radar systems. Britain and France would also have made advances and increased their preparations, but by the nature of their governments Germany's increase would have been greater and the slight existing gap made much wider.

As I see it, Germany's rush to grab Poland and start the war was mainly due to Hitler's apprehension of becoming too old to effectively lead the country if he waited.

Konstantin

True. From what I've heard that was mainly Ribbentrop's doing. Hitler trusted his diplomatic advice too much, in truth von Neurath had a much better sense of British and French intentions but Ribbentrop put on a better show and told Hitler what he wanted to hear.

It's odd that Ribbentrop was pushing for the Polish invasion in '39, when most of the German inner circle were luke warm, but was desperately against Barbarossa in '41, when those same people were eager to invade Russia. At the start of the campaign Ribbentrop went chasing after the departing Soviet ambassador saying, "Be certain you tell them this wasn't my idea and that I was against it!" Words that failed to help him at Nuremburg.

[ August 21, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Poor Ole' Graf Spree.<first story I ever watched on this was kinda sad, she was force into an Argentine Port and smooshed by superior UK forces. I wonder why Peron a S.American would be partial to Nazis?> Seems that the British were a lot more advanced with their intelligence than other nations. i.e. USA

The invasion of Poland what's already decided at the time of DOW, it happened without Soviet involvement. I have always seen that the mobilisation of Western Powers being semi-lax for France and slow for Britian to be responsible for them losing so easily at first. It's no use understanding a concept, say for instance "Blitzkrieg," If you don't have them men or material to put it to the test. War isn't always a garantuee, many nations use their losses <i.e. USSR> to learn from them and acquire the knowledge of War to win. Something the French didn't have an opportunity to do. As soon as with the Allies understood fully Blitzkrieg War<their Generals and leaders> the whole thing went downstream for the Axis Powers. They had more #s of everything and no amount of German ingenuity and pride was going to win out at that point.

Short of planning for the fact the West would be shocked of this new style of warfare. Perhaps twice the airforce could be assembled with an obvious upgrade for Germany's fighter production and long range precision bombers could have been instrumental. She'd of had time to assemble some of the Baltic Sea fleet or overstoc the Army... Considering plans for Barbarossa, not a bad idea if you thought Russia was going to get involved. Germany Jumped the gun firmly, RippenTrop<sp> hehehe sounds like he handed victory to the Allies on a technical point of view. I doubt Russia would be in much better position after the Purges for anytime soon. Seeing is the first year of the war was mainly on the defensive for him.

[ August 22, 2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Liam ]