German Navy

DLW2

I was just wondering whether anyone has ever tried building a large German navy. I've tried it before, but whenever I try I usually just end up tossing the MPP's into Russia and let Italy take care of the naval warfare.

Originally posted by DLW2:

I was just wondering whether anyone has ever tried building a large German navy. I've tried it before, but whenever I try I usually just end up tossing the MPP's into Russia and let Italy take care of the naval warfare.

That is about the same conclusion I have come to. Naval units are so very expensive and germany starts out with so little that it is not really cost effective to pour a lot of resources into it - at least I have not found it to be so. Think about it you can buy an air fleet and two corps for the cost of a battleship. And air units can be used to attack land, air, or naval units. naval units are limited to attacking other naval units, land units adjacent to water, or if you are really stupid ports. I never give out as much damage as I take and MY damage costs 20 - 30 mpps per POINT to repair. How does doing 3 MPPS of damage justify that?

What I HAVE tried is if my industrial tech research has been productive and the costs are lowered I will buy air carriers - as the have a wider range or applications, and keep this in mind - air carriers are the only unit that can attack land units and NEVER take damage. If I do this I buy just enough cruisers to defend the carriers - coupled with land based bombers and air units you can do a lot of damage to britains fleet and give a nice platform to attack britain itself.

But in answer I have never created a vast german armada to outright challenge the british control of all seas. But coupled with the italians you can do some damage - plus if you take gibralter you can get the italians into the atlantic and you dont need german battleships

What about subs (sorry-coming from someone waiting for his copy and just looking up tactics and so on.) And doesen't it seem a little funny that your using the italian navy so much, when in history they actually kept most of their fleet in port because they were afraid of losing them (the italians are good at many things, but their logic when it comes to war is a bit odd...)