Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TCP/IP AAR

Originally posted by Andre Bolkonsky:

By attacking the fleets at the spawn points, can I assume the French/UK fleets were waiting in position for the Italians to spawn, and then popped then on turn one? Or did you park over the spawn points and force battle that way?

Just curious. Nice thread. I wish you had more details on your maneuvers.

No, I did the first, moving the fleet into range of the spawn points. Unfortunately, it was a "thought of the moment" plan I hadn't prepared for and so probably half the French fleet was there along with a really quite paltry UK presence. Not surprisingly, it didn't go well since I was actually outnumbered. Ah well. :D

January 1944: Germany and Italy surrender on the Following terms:

Scandanavia: Norway and sweden returned, Finland back to 1940 borders.

North Africa and Med: Egypt and Iraq returned. Italy out of N Africa, Italy keeps malta.

Balkans: Greece and Yugo returned, the rest remain axis minors.

Romania cedes border hexes with russia

France returned

same with belgium and denmark

see the map go to my website and click the link in the middle of the page.

CvM

[ November 22, 2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Carl Von Mannerheim ]

I was fairly satisfied with this peace settlement. (For one thing, I discovered that TCP/IP games bore the crap out of me, heh heh.)

*puts on historicity cap*

Germany has basically "only" gained Poland and the undying enmity of all its neighbors. In 5-10 years when this conflict brew up again, it's probable that Germany will be in trouble. Its former allies are now being confronted by a stronger and more unifed Russia, at the same time that they realize that their alliance with Hitler gained them nothing but dead men. (and lost land in the case of Romania, which lost Moldavia) Russia's "paltry" territorial gains will actually give them close proximity to the Romanian oil fields, critical in case war breaks out again.

Italy has gained the tiny island of Malta but they've been chucked out of North Africa. It's highly unlikely they could hold onto Ethiopia for very long. More importantly, such a collapse of Il Duce's imperialist goals will almost certainly mean the downfall of his government. Among other things, the slaughter of the Italian invasion force in Turkey will mean that the Italian public's most recent memories of the war will consist of an image of dead soldiers brought about because Der Fuhrer wanted support in his poorly planned Turkish adventure.

(Sorry Carl, no offense. :D He had dropped an HQ and several armies on the Turkish coast. When I operated half a dozen Russian armies to Turkey's capital, I bagged the HQ and in another turn or two would have destroyed all of the Italians.)

Even Turkey, historically staunchly neutral, got a taste of the German jackboot, and they will stand ready to pounce on Germany the next go around. And will you please tell me why you let me surround and kill that Panzer unit on the Dardanelles?

Originally posted by I/O Error:

I was fairly satisfied with this peace settlement. (For one thing, I discovered that TCP/IP games bore the crap out of me, heh heh.)

*puts on historicity cap*

Germany has basically "only" gained Poland and the undying enmity of all its neighbors. In 5-10 years when this conflict brew up again, it's probable that Germany will be in trouble. Its former allies are now being confronted by a stronger and more unifed Russia, at the same time that they realize that their alliance with Hitler gained them nothing but dead men. (and lost land in the case of Romania, which lost Moldavia) Russia's "paltry" territorial gains will actually give them close proximity to the Romanian oil fields, critical in case war breaks out again.

Italy has gained the tiny island of Malta but they've been chucked out of North Africa. It's highly unlikely they could hold onto Ethiopia for very long. More importantly, such a collapse of Il Duce's imperialist goals will almost certainly mean the downfall of his government. Among other things, the slaughter of the Italian invasion force in Turkey will mean that the Italian public's most recent memories of the war will consist of an image of dead soldiers brought about because Der Fuhrer wanted support in his poorly planned Turkish adventure.

(Sorry Carl, no offense. :D He had dropped an HQ and several armies on the Turkish coast. When I operated half a dozen Russian armies to Turkey's capital, I bagged the HQ and in another turn or two would have destroyed all of the Italians.)

Even Turkey, historically staunchly neutral, got a taste of the German jackboot, and they will stand ready to pounce on Germany the next go around. And will you please tell me why you let me surround and kill that Panzer unit on the Dardanelles?

20020304.jpg

"All right, We'll call it a draw."

CvM 0-0-1