US & USSR entry on random setting?

Welshwill

In my current PBEM I'm playing the Axis. I have been very careful during my campaign in the West, trying not to provoke the USSR to early (Random setting). The only two countries that I invaded other than Poland & France were The Low Countries & Denmark. My question is; Is the USSR destined to come into the war before a given date regardless of what the Axis do? The war readiness just kept climbing regardless of what I did or didn't do!

Originally posted by Welshwill:

In my current PBEM I'm playing the Axis. I have been very careful during my campaign in the West, trying not to provoke the USSR to early (Random setting). The only two countries that I invaded other than Poland & France were The Low Countries & Denmark. My question is; Is the USSR destined to come into the war before a given date regardless of what the Axis do? The war readiness just kept climbing regardless of what I did or didn't do!

It has something to do with the Poland garrison

(put just a couple of corps over there and watch

the USSR entry climb like mad). But I have had

the Russkies pre-empt a DOW on me despite Poland

being chock full of my units, which are about to

attack him either way of course. If he does it

will pork US Entry, so let him. tongue.gif

Someone else pointed out that the Russian entry

percentage eventually starts to skyrocket no

matter what you do (circa early to mid '41). It

can be at 55% one turn, but two turns later you

will see the dreaded "Russia is preparing for

war!" message... :(

John DiFool

Originally posted by Sol Invictus:

The only pattern I have noticed is that if Germany attacks Sweden then America will almost immediately declare war. Russia is a little more difficult and the randomness can swing qite a bit.

That depends entirely on when you do it. It will usually increase war readiness by about 10% for both countries. If you do it in mid-1940, you don't have anything to worry about. If you do it in August of 1941, it may put the US over the edge.

As with comedy, timing is everything.

Comrades,

In the hints and tips thread, Harala added this reply to one of my questions on Russian DOW in random games:

"One of the things the manual doesn't tell you is that the Soviets will declare war if the Eastern Front isn't properly garrisoned. I think I read here that that means at least 2 units in 1940 and 3 units in 1941. I know the former is correct; not sure of the latter."

Seems to me worth repeating in this thread. Sounds like a really good thing to know :eek:

Anyone else have input on Polish Garrison and Russian DOW? What constitues a "garrison?": units in cities? in Poland anywhere? in the hexes adjacent to the Russian border? Does it matter?

Salute!

I was on a similar path... going into Sweden early(ish)... Russia seemed okay with it, but what really set them off was the entry of Rumania, Hungary, etc.

After that, Russia is ready to go, and I've got the Wermacht spread all over the place...

The US still doesn't seem to care about what's going on.

It would be nice for the game to give some more input on consequences when you DOW someone.

Live and learn...

Aloid (still have not taken Sweden...)

[ August 28, 2002, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Aloid ]