A Gamey Question

Ok, I got to thinking, a very dangerous thing in itself.

We all know that if Germany invades the Baltic States prior to their annexation by the USSR, that the Russians go nuts and their readiness skyrockets.

What happens say if England declares war on the Baltic States before the annexation. Of course we know they become a axis minor.

But does russia become mad at germany and treat it like a german invasion? I was wondering about this. I am currently at work otherwise I'd play test it. Has anyone tried this gamey approach to see if they can get Russia into the fray earlier?

I know it's gamey, and some people play gamey while some people play historical.

I was just wondering.

Later!

The answer appears to be no. I loaded a couple of old saves, and declared war on the Baltic states. In no case did USSR DOW readiness change. Also ran a quick Fall Weiss campaign against the Axis AI, declared war on the Baltic States on turn 1, and let the game run through the surrender of Poland, and concurrent USSR annexation of eastern Poland. Again, no change in Russian readiness.

I don't see why it would happen, in fact I think it would work to the oppisite effect wouldn't it? If the russins get pissed at germany for attacking the baltic, Wouldn't they get pissed at the allies for doing it? Prehaps they would stay out of the war if something like this happens.

After extensive play testing last night when I got home, I came to the following conclusion.

Britian/France declaring war on the Baltic States does NOT change Russia's war readiness, and inhibits russia through the lose of certain (not all) units that would have started there.

In testing:

Germany declaring war cause readiness to jump from 30 to 61.

Britian declaring war caused no effect in the readiness as it stayed at 30.

I also decided to try to see if the July 14, 1940 annexation date would have any effect and it did not. The war readiness stayed at 38 for nearly 20 turns until the balkans countries started joining and the yugo coup. Then russia's war readiness kept jumping by 10% a turn that Yugo was unconquered.

So western allies declaring war on the baltics has no gamey effect.

No baltic option. LOL