Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

UI suggestion to CM2

Hi,

Would it be possible to show units routes to their waypoints before you press GO and have to see them butchered because they went wrong route?

In following situation..

F = burning house, R = ruble, H = house

* = enemy sherman

HH|

| HH|

-+-----+-

|FF R3|

|FF RR|

| |

|RR FF|

|R2 FF|

| |

|HH H1|

|HH HH|

-+-----+-

| |

Buildings are all light two story buildings so there seems to be lots of room between them..

So I am in point 1 and set waypoint to 2 so my troops wont run on road and get butchered by enemy Sherman and finally want to get to point 3.

So I press GO and my troops run from 1 to 2, then turn back and goto through point 1 to street and try to reach point 3 but MGs on Sherman kill half of them and send rest running away in panic.

Well I was pretty surprised about this, and reason why they did that was those two flaming buildings.. there was thin line where my men couldn't go.

In this situation I would have liked that two burning buildings that shouldn't block my mens route wouldn't have done it but I have had my troops and tanks modify their routes to something pretty exciting after I press GO, so ability to see what route they will actually take would be nice..

Would it be possible?

------------------

jK.MkIII

Pffuii, I've yet to see a game which handles correctly paths when there is even one minor obstacle, so asking for one which in addition thinks about the route and the danger lurking behind next block...you've rather ask BTS to give their game free that doing that smile.gif !!

There's only one solution : instead of tracing the move in one or two long "legs", put as much waypoints as necessary to keep the men on "your" path. I know, it's somewhat near impossible with adjacent buildings, but the rest of the time it'll work ...

I see that you didn't read my post carefully smile.gif Or my image wasn't clear enough because all extra spaces didn't show smile.gif

From point 1 to waypoint 2 (in rubble, NE from 1) just because didn't want my men move on road. Then from point 2 I wanted to move between burning buildings to point 3.

./.

.\.

Movement what I liked was something like that. What I got was more like this..

...\

2..|

.\./

And route between 1 and 2 was moved twice because they first got to 2, then saw invisible fence between two burning buildings and came back to starting position and went on to street to die.

What I want is: "Show me how computer will modify moving routes between waypoints" and that shouldn't be hard to do. Many games (example TOAW) shows what route your troops will actually move before you tell them to move so it isn't rocket science. It could be made an optional feature that would show only when you want and perhaps have some maximum distance how far it will work.

Actually when I moved that squad to die I had waypoints between every 2 meters because had tried to move panzerschreck earlier with only those waypoints I mentioned and tought perhaps rubble just is so hard to move that they saw it faster to run on street or that I had told them to move on road by mistake..

I think this would be helpfull UI upgrade and I don't see it being that hard.

Of course would also like if you could move even if there are two burning buildings like that.. what is right word, diagonally?

X.

.X

Like that..

Because with that much open space between them I was really surprised that I couldn't move between them.. and only noticed that invisible wall after played while with movement command.

------------------

jK.MkIII

You found one of the couple of kinds of cases where troops won't go someplace and you could know in advance. Troops don't like to get close to burning buildings, and they will often have to pick new routes when climbing or driving through steep terrain. You learned the hard way about burning buildings, and you can plot through steep terrain if you use lots of close together waypoints so you can tell if there's something impassable. Troops will generally follow the paths you plotted if they don't come under fire.

Most cases where units do something that you don't like is because they came under fire and decided that you were going to get them hurt, so they found somewhere else to go. CM can't plot those in advance.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Yes I could have avoided if would have known it before.

But in this case area where they wouldn't go was very narrow. And I could have moved them closer to fire on any other wall of houses, but not just on that narrow area between houses.

Also I sometimes see my vehicles generating lot of extra waypoints, some forward and then little back..

And of course woudln't even ask CM to show me my men will move if route is changed because someone shoot at them..

Anyway just one little suggestion for UI, that could help me determine if I need more waypoints and could avoid things like that..

------------------

jK.MkIII