Abandoned and knocked-out guns - what is the difference?

As far as I know: when a gun is kaputt, it's knocked out. When the crew ran away, it's abandoned, but still usable, or it would be knocked out.

Well, I can understand that a tank crew leaves a damaged tank and won't return. But why can a gun crew not return to their gun?

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Scipiobase

Join the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club

They're afraid of getting shot. Guns get abandoned becasue the crew gets suppressed enough to think that they are not going to make it if they stay with the gun. Maybe they'll come back in a bit, but not for the duration of the battle. The distinction is irrellevant in a battle except possibly for points, but it makes a difference in operations.

Originally posted by Compassion:

They're afraid of getting shot. Guns get abandoned becasue the crew gets suppressed enough to think that they are not going to make it if they stay with the gun. Maybe they'll come back in a bit, but not for the duration of the battle. The distinction is irrellevant in a battle except possibly for points, but it makes a difference in operations.

Time is a good point, but if they panic and leave the gun, they don't leave the map. They run usualy to the next cover. But if they recover after some minutes, and the gun is still useable, it would be logic that I can order them to return to their post.

As I said - a vehicel will be abandoned because of damage, that can't be repaired within scenario time, but a useless gun only cause the crew leaves their post??? That's not good.

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Scipiobase

Join the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 02-11-2001).]

Originally posted by Scipio:

But if they recover after some minutes, and the gun is still useable, it would be logic that I can order them to return to their post.

but a useless gun only cause the crew leaves their post??? That's not good.

Agree in principal, but consider this.. Of all the reasons that a crew might leave a gun... Rampaging infantry or armor in the rear, taking arty fire (especially mortar), MG fire grazing... there aren't many thingsthat would give the crew the confidence to move back to the gun. You can invest other resources to drive back an enemy probe into your rear or flanks, but you might not have time to convice the crew to recrew the gun. For the other reasons? they might not return to the gun at all with their morale suppressed the way it is once they break and run in the first place.

I see what you are saying, but I don't think that the confidence to return to the gun DURING a battle is a rare enough occourance that I wouldn't want making this code fix take time from the ost front.

At the end of the day it's your job to place your guns where they might be able to support each other and have a narrow enough field of fire that they will be able to rule their area of responsibility. Try not to place them so that they can shoot everywhere. THey will then get shot at from everywhere. You may be using them in a high risk way, too.

I try and set an AT gun with an Inf gun and place them clse togeather with a narrow area of responsability and hope that they will maybe get a kill or two, but mostly deny access to that area by my enemy. it's a sucessful battle for my crews if they took a shot at somehting that went into their area and nothing else dared try enter that area and they were able to serve their weapon without being in danger. It doesn't always work out that way, butthat's my goal... deny the area to my enemy so they have to go where I have carefully prepared killing fields.