Modders! Why not extend the batch file concept even more?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Gunnergoz' and Maguas recent modding effort made me think that the batch file concept can be used much more that what is currently the case. Why not combine, say, the upcoming DFDR mod with Maguas Normandy specific scenery and Gunnergoz' season specific mod. Make batchfiles that allow you to swithc between elements of them as well as the whole mod package?

Example:

You are fighting on the Bloody Omaha, you run a batch to load elements of the DFDR mod to get a sandy beach instead of the grass beach you get now. Then you load the new "water with waves" mod that somebody has been kind enough to make.. smile.gif Finally you load elements of Maguas upcoming Normandy mod, or Gunnergoz' specled summer terrain. You get a beatifull sandy beach, waves breaking on the shore, and everything is in a Normandy setting biggrin.gif

Of course some of the .bmp no. are overlapping so it won't come out perfect but it will allow a great deal of variation in the game and reduce the feeling that every map looks the same. It will be a lot of work, but I'm sure it can be done. Especially if the terrain modders add suffixes to the .bmp no. and then make two version of the mods. I'm sure someone with the knowledge of the .bmp numbers can come up with some good batch file concepts and write the files.

What say ya?

Bernhard

------------------

Visit http://home.c2i.net/bebenum for som tips on(flight)sim immersion hardware :)

Well, you actually can do just about anything with modifying the batch files yourself.

For example, I find that I like to get variation with German vehicles. There are many great mods for the same vehicle. So I put all Tiger IE mods in one folder, named XXXX_1.bmp for one mod, XXXX_2.bmp for second mod, etc. All the Jpz-IV in another folder, German Infantry in another, and so on.

After many folders and a great many mods, I put together a batch file that I run before every game. This batch file "cycles" the mods in each folder, copying files to the BMP folder. When a Panther G shows up in a scenario, I have no idea what mod it will be using. Gives great variety, surprises me, and lets me enjoy many of the mods for the same vehicles.

Same thing holds for terrain. I have a brown and green grass batch file, a building cycle batch file, etc.

Point is, collect the mods and experiment with batch files. Use them to add the variety you want. But you are going to have to do the work yourself. There is no way of getting a batch file to meet everyone's need without some work by the user.

For your example, I would use some DFDR terrain and have a "beach.bat" batch file when a Normandy beach assault scenario is played. This one file should update all terrain (bearch, wavy water, etc). I may even have it "cycle" back to "normal".

If you would like to see an example of this "cycle mods" thing, send me e-mail and I'll send you an example. I may just write a HOWTO on the procedure to prepare folders, bmp files, and batch files.

I think writing a howto would be welcomed by a lot of CM'ers, so please go ahead.

The main reason for posting was to request more scenario/seasons specific mods from you modders. I don't have the skill to make them myself. I know that writing the batch files is not a big deal, just time consuming. My problem is that I don't know the .bmp numbers well enough so it would take some trial and error.. nothing I can't handle though smile.gif

I was also thinking that if a lot of people where using this system, then the people whod design "special" scenarios could anticipate it by placing the terrain tiles in such a way that it overcomes the limits of the engine. Lets say I wanted a sandy Omaha beach. Since the beach is grass, replacing the grass .bmps with sand ones will make the whole map loke like a beach. If the scenario designer could somehow anticipate the use of a "beach" mod. he/she could design the terrain in such a way that this is avoided. One way would be to use a lot of brush tiles, and different elevations. The higer elevations are differnt .bmp numbers right? That way you could get a beach gradually getting overgrown with bushes and the grass, all on the same map.

Is there already a "water with surf" mod out there?

Suggestions:

sun burned grass, green wheat.

Plowed field instead of wheat.

Spring trees with sprouting leaves.

Different grass textures for sunny days and overcast/rainy days.

A mud texture instead of grass for those really wet days

A sand texture is comming up

I assume some of these already exists so if anyone can point me in the right direction(s)

Regards Bernhard

------------------

Visit http://home.c2i.net/bebenum for som tips on(flight)sim immersion hardware :)

[This message has been edited by bebbetufs (edited 03-10-2001).]