Effect(s) of leaving the map (other than "Exit for Points")?

Okay, searching the manuals (CMBB pp. 44-46, 155; CMAK pp. 41) & all the forums (fora?) for "exit" in the title didn't help me out, so it's time for a new thread.

What are the effects of exitting from the map?

CMBB p. 49 & CMAK p.45 makes it clear that "Units that exit the map during an operation will not return for the next battle."

CMAK p.40 makes it clear that exitting prevents being amongst the captured troops if you surrender.

Also, Sergei at The Proving Grounds kindly did the following:

----------

"Based on my little hotseat test it appears that exited troops don't become casualties, no matter which border they cross.

I believe 'friendly side' only affects the direction where infantry runs when they get routed, and AI."

-------------

The only question I can think of now is to test if exit across different edge types has differing effects on Overall Morale...but I doubt it if the exitted units don't count for casualties. I think that withdrawing units does increase the likelihood of computer-driven Surrender, but I've yet to test that rigourously.

I'll try to test it this weekend.

Also, I would appreciate comments on the utility of adding the edge types into player briefings, including the use of "FOW" as a type, to keep folks guessing.