Corrupt pbem files

OK, I have a problem. I've been playing pbem games for about a year now and once in a blue moon I would send a file that my opponent was unable to open (I don't recall that happening with the beta or gold demos but not 100% sure), in july/august I got a new system:

W2K Pro

SBLive!

WinFast GeForce 32mb

128 mb RAM

Now the corruption started happening once every full moon, ie not very often.

Recently, however, the majority of my pbem files become corrupted.

Now the way they are corrupt is interesting:

I've had one file which contained data from a CRPG (Icewind Dale). I've had another file contain MS legalese and help text. The file with IWD data was sent to BTS but I've had no response from them. Why and from where this data is imported I don't know.

It's now gotten so bad that I've put all my games on hold until I come up with something, plotting movement for a battalion over and over gets old real fast.

According to Fprot (with two months old drivers) I don't have a virus in my sys.

I only have MDMP2 installed along with CM 1.1 and a separate exe for 1.05. I use numbered files, no overwriting. I have a separate folder for incoming files.

Anyone have a suggestion here?

Reinstall? Not play 1.05 games?

Buy a mac? (I won't.) Sacrifice a black bull to Mr Gates? Run everything from DOS? Do a search? (I did)

Johan

Have you tried to play a PBEM game against yourself to see if you can get corrupted files without sending them through a mail client? If your files get corrupted without having left your computer even once, there's probably something seriously wrong with your system.

Some random guesses:

- If it only happens with files you receive via e-mail, you (and the sender) might want to check for viruses.

- Do you have multiple OSes installed on your HD? I once managed to create overlapping partitions, so everytime I started one OS, the data from the other one became corrupted.

Try to get a better hold on where your files get corrupted. This makes the search much easier.

Dschugaschwili

They seem to become corrupted during the file creation process. I might need to do the ol' format c: routine and do a total reinstall, there might be something very wrong with my sys as you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time,

Johan

Just confirming what you are hearing - if your system is putting material from other programs, etc. into your PBEM files, you do have some serious FAT (or similiar) issues. Before you reformat -run scandisk, or whatever it's called now. It can fix some of these things. (Turn off your machine by killing the power, when you turn it back on, scandisk will run). Also - hate to say it, but if this just starting happening with your new system - and keeps up - check your warranty.

Good luck

Have you also done a virus scan? Something could be copying random blocks of data-- are you having problems in other programs? Otherwise I agree that you have some serious file system problems that are probably not CM related.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)