Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Will CM/CM2 ever run under Linux

Hi all !

I don't know how CM was implemented, so i don't know how easy this would be. I also ignore how are working the Loki guys that port games to run under Linux.

Anyway, i'd be delighted to play CM under Linux, since this would prevent me from rebooting everytime to windows to switch between work/CM... Can i be the only one that'd love to see the game ported

Maybe this has already been discussed previously, if so, i apologize and i promise that next time i'll make-a-search ;)

Thanks

[edited to be more "Gramatically Correct"]

--

Cafard

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Cafard ]

Here is something that BTS will not say, since it is impossible for them to predict, but you possibly have an option in the future with Linux, oddly enough related to Macintosh.

The Macintosh OS is transitioning to a BSD based Unix. BTS will always make a Macintosh version of their software. At some point, that means switching their code base to OSX and Unix. Definately not for CM:BO, and probably not for CM:BB, but when the engine gets rewritten, it would make sense. Many applications that work under BSD can compile for Linux. Sometimes they need some tweeking, but already there are applications compiling for the current version of OS-X from other Unix flavors (or even one offs like Linux). Going the other way may also be possible.

This is of course, just speculation. Something fundementally wrong could come up between the Quartz layer and the Linux graphics engine, and Linux does lack many API needed by modern games (although each day a new API is released for it that makes things better), so it could turn out that Linux is a no go, but having a BSD version of a later release of CM could well put it in reach of other Unix OS, so long as BTS did not have to support them (their support issues on Windows are a nightmare already).