I thought people might be interested in a thread on sample units. The idea is not purism about historical TOEs, nor game effectiveness in CM terms, but something between the two. More like the first, but some adaptation to CM point costs and effective groups.

An example was the question about U.S. armored infantry formations a fellow asked about on another thread. The idea is to have people suggest forces for different scales in terms of points and different arms of the different countries.

To start, I provide some U.S. cavalry-recon sample forces. They are meant to represent the front line forces of a typical U.S. armored cavalry battalion, like those attached to most U.S. divisions, at the scale of CM fights. They might be added to other units in larger battles, too, attached (especially for the smaller units). The costs given assume regulars and 1945 squads.

U.S. Armored recon platoon - 400 points

2xM-8 scout cars

5xM-20 scout cars

1xplatoon HQ

2xrifle squad (split 'em)

2xbazooka team

For a 500-point battle alone, replace one of the M-20s with a single Tank Destroyer - M-10, M-18, or M-36. If you pick the M-10 you can add another bazooka team or sharpshooter.

U.S. cavary troop -

The basic idea is 3x the above, then add

1x105mm artillery FO

1xCompany HQ

2xM-20 scout cars

Cost 1500 points.

In a 2000 point battle alone, add a TD platoon of 4 M-10s, M-18s, or M-36s, and add a couple of mortar carriers if you take cheaper TDs.

They will be more flexible in the smaller unit in CM terms. 1500-2000 points on scouts is overkill in the CM game scale, but if you want to see how such a battle would go you could try it.

Lots of lightly armored, mobile 50 cal firepower, with infantry "eyes" and ambushers, and a few more serious AT weapons. The 500 point force is a reasonable addition to many other U.S. force types.

To learn how fast those recon vehicles and others can travel, see http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/014903.html

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Suggesting semi-historical ways to spend points is interesting, but I'm not sure these can be bought. For example in the

2xM-8 scout cars

5xM-20 scout cars

1xplatoon HQ

2xrifle squad (split 'em)

2xbazooka team

it is not possible to buy just 2xrifle squads. I have to buy a whole platoon, at least for QBs. Right?