"war in 3D" What i have to buy another video card?

Hooray, it's the Return Of The Hardware Bigots! And trust Maximus never to miss a good argument, especially about graphics.

Here are the most recent two threads where we had this argument:

CM Graphics - Room For Improvement

BTS - Is it time for a separate CM II forum?

Of course, this thread isn't really meant to reach a conclusion, so reading the previous runs surely won't reduce anyone's inclination to chip in with their hardware specs and attitudes towards computers and money. Carry on! :P

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

... 16 meg would be the minium, as opposed to the current minimum of 8 megs. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> :confused: I know for sure that there are some persons playing CMBO on laptops with 2MB graphics memory.

I myself had 4MB on the previous computer, and had no problems running CM.

Lower amounts of memo just decrease the available resolution options and framerate, to some extent.

For future gamers there will be motherboards with incorporated high performance nVidia GPUs (NForce, comparable to GF2 GTS), with expected release about the same time as CM2. Next year they will be available for laptops as well. :)

Cheers

Olle

BTS can't win. They are not off the field here. CM2 has a 8MB minimum for the Video card. Yes most games out now the do serious 3D do. Look at Black and White [8MB min], Summoner says it will run great on a VooDoo 2 or better [8MB], Tribes 2 [12MB min], Mechwarrior 4 [8MB min]. They are right in line with thier contemporaries. You know what, it won't run on my Timex Sincair, my TI99-4a, my Commodore 64 or and of my 386s, 486s or Pentium I's either. This is the reality of the PC gaming world. You can bitch about it, jump up and down and have a tantrum but it won't change what the industry is.

If BTS made CM2 work well on 4MB cards they would be hearing complaints for obsolete graphics and small battles. Dammed if they do, damned if they don't. Look if you want to run your computer with three-year-old technology (that was about when I got my first VooDoo 1) then expect to only be able to play three-year-old games. I just don't know what I can tell you here.

I don't mean to be callus but I'm just saying that this IS the reality of the PC gaming industry. You can always switch to console games (I'm being serious). You don't have to upgrade until a new console comes out, you need no technical knowledge, and everything works great white out having to play with the hardware/software. That is the reality of that industry and its advantage. If that’s what you want, go there. The reality (and advantage) of this industry is that the hardware is constantly improving and so are the games (in a technical sense). However this comes with a cost, you need a machine that is technically current, and you need the know how to keep it so.

Once again, I'll chant my manta, you may think it sucks, but it is reality and its not going to change just cause you want it to.

Thanks,

Kevin