Tanks not using their HE against infantry? Bug??

In following with the hand grenades and halftracks thread...it seems as though the tanks aren't using their HE automatically on infantry as much anymore as was the case in v1.1. I for one liked that feature. It seems now that you have to manually select "use main gun" again.

Guest KwazyDog

Max, I would say this is a result of toning down tanks tendency to engage enemy infantry because of the complaints of tanks engaging them when enemy armour may be around and thus exposing the side armour.

I will pass this onto Charles, but I think this falls into the category that you cant please everybody all of the time wink.gif

Dan

I'm with you, Max. I'm in a PBEM right now where I've managed to keep an Assault Howitzer alive to the end of the battle and in good position to pound attacking infantry. But I can't keep the darn thing going! I've wasted turn after turn targeting, then watching it fire a round or two until the unit runs or hides. Then it sits for the rest of the turn, watching the enemy fire at my men...

I've already proposed the real solution to this: We need to be able to tell our tanks whether they should worry about enemy armor. Some call this micromanagement, but I call it realism. Tankers knew these things. They were talking to each other on those radios. They were very interested in whether they should have an AP round or HE round ready to load.

I say bring on the micromanagement. More information to the troops! It isn't realism to play commander of the Lobotomized Company.

I just had a blast watching a Sherman driving toward one of PeterNZer's positions firing the bow MG while firing the main gun (manually targeted) and coax at one perpendicular to the line of travel. A joy to watch. My M8 HMC is also behaving well (firing the 75 at Peter's troops). The only one that isn't is the Jackson, with only a little HE it seems slow to fire.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)