How to destroy a RailRoad bridge?

Hello!

I'm a newbie.

I'm playing a scenario where I have to destroy some RR bridges (both stone and wood).

I have many British Airborne squads (with the Gammon Bombs), some PIAT teams and some mortar teams.

Now my soldiers are near a couple of these bridges (few meters from them) but ... what I have to do in order to destroy the bridges? I have tried to "target" them but seems useless.

What are the Gammon Bomb? when will be used?

Thanks in advance

Roberto

Gammon Bombs are glorified Satchel Charges. They are great at knocking out bunkers and pillboxes. I used them to great effectiveness in the Arnhem Operation.

To destroy bridges, you have to pound them with large explosive shells. 105mm and above is usually the preferred calibre. Although a constant bombardment of 81mm mortars will also do the job sometimes for wooden bridges. But trying to use Engineers or whathave you to destroy them just won't work in CM. I'm not sure why it isn't modeled in CM, but it just isn't.

Just call in 105mm or larger artillery on a bridge with good LOS and hopefully enough rounds will land on or near the bridge in a small enough area to destroy it. I destroyed a stone bridge a month or so ago with a 155mm barrage I believe.

It takes a lot more than satchel charges to destroy bridges. Even heavy artillery is probably only breaking up the roadway. To collapse a bridge you need heavy bombs hitting the structural members, or shaped charges cutting them (although there are methods of cutting them without shaped charges too).

Engineers might take an hour or more to rig such a demolition for a decent bridge, so it's completely outside the scope of CM.