OT DVD/CD ROM Question. Help!

I upgraded my old cd rom with a pioneer DVD 104 model. Anyway do I need some thing special to play DVD's like software or something? I have a Voodoo3 card with 16 megs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

I bought a Pioneer DVD-113 a year ago. This model came with a DVD/MPEG-2 card. Such a card is necessary if you want to play movies on your TV.

At that time you needed at least the software version of MPEG-1 to play movies on the computer.

A program (or driver) should have come with your DVD drive for such an event. If not check out Pioneer or Hi-Val (as they just repackage the Pioneer drives) for a DVD program.

Your video card should work fine as the resolution is adjust per Windows settings.

To watch a DVD movie from your drive you need either a hardware or software decoder. An MPEG-2 decoder card is usually the best solution for no skipped frames. A software decoder needs at least a Pentium II 300 or better for 30 fps. However, your Voodoo3 should have DVD hardware assist capabilities and if you bought the card new (retail version) you should have a card that came with the box that you send back to 3DFX for a free CD with a software decoder.