Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Should manual turret traverse be modeled in CM2?

Does anyone think that simulating turret traverse damage would be a good idea for CM2? When the turret traverse motor gets damaged, tanks would have to use a much slower manual traverse, giving them a serious handicap in battle. This would be highly realistic, especially for tanks such as the T34 that had very unrealible traverse motors. It would be unfair to give the T34 permanent fast traverse, becuase half the time the motor would be broken and the commander would have to crank the turret around. However, it would be equally unfair to give the T34 permanent slow traverse, because the motor worked some of the time.

The only problem I forsee is getting the speed of the manual traverse right. Unless these speeds are published, it would be hard for BTS to get the speed right, unless they used a formula based on the weight of the turret.

Currently, the only ways a tank can be damaged is by being immobilized, gun damaged, or shocked. I would like to see traverse damage modeled, as tanks would still be ready for combat, but would be at a serious disadvantage.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Good idea. And also a good way to back up your argument. smile.gif Never thought about this issue, but yeah, it would be something to look at for CM2.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

This is certainly an interesting question. Along those lines should CM2 model Panther and King Tiger turret traverse speed variation? I have read that turret traverse can be much faster or slower depending on what gear the tank is in, how much throttle is given and the overall experience of the tank crew performing the operation. I was thinking that maybe a veteren crew would be able to manuver his turret faster then a regular one as a start.

Originally posted by Freak:

I was thinking that maybe a veteren crew would be able to manuver his turret faster then a regular one as a start.

IIRC, it already is, at least for the panther.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

They had a discussion on this subject not long ago, although I forget how it ended. Try a search on turret traverse or T-34 or both, and see what shows up. I agree it is a good idea.

Although the T-34 should not be the only one which could suffer from such a failure. Although not as common as on the T-34, I gather most German tanks also had a chance of this happening. A small chance, but could have interesting effects in combat!

Originally posted by The Commissar:

Although the T-34 should not be the only one which could suffer from such a failure. Although not as common as on the T-34, I gather most German tanks also had a chance of this happening. A small chance, but could have interesting effects in combat!

Yes, of course it should happen to other tanks. I was just using the T34 as an example because it was especially problematic. Imagine cranking a King Tiger's turret around by hand!

------------------

Here's a few threads dealing with the subject:

The one you, Gustav, already had the chance to participate in:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/012254.html

and one comparing the aspects of T-34's to Shermans, also dealing with turret speeds among other things:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/008695.html

I think we need to keep pressing for this, since Im not sure what BTS had said about this before. I personally see this as an important detail.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"