"MODS" downloading now

Most contain a readme with pretty good instructions, but some do not. I would recommend first reading MadMatt's Mod Guide at http://combathq.thegamers.net/ Look for it under the 3rd Party Mod section.

I'm sure everyone has their own system, and now there is also a Mod Manager, also at MadMatt's site. I still use the old method, where I've created a "Patch" directory, with subdirectories of each mod I use, or might use, and I plug them in and out at will. Be sure to backup all of the originals before you plug in anything, and keep those files (including sound files), in a separate file.

All your doing is replacing .bmp and .wav files, so it's pretty simple really. The trick being, to keep the originals somewhere so you can backtrack if/when desired. Also, snatch a copy of the graphic files list somewhere (forget who has that), so you have a list of what is what. Otherwise, it just takes time to learn them, or look at the number order of the ones your about to plug in.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-13-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dbroe:

do these install self?do i have to turn that on ever time i want somethig new,or are they random and work all the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I understand your question. But whenever you install them, they are there all the time until you replace them with something else. Each unit has their own set of textures. So if you install a new set of textures for the Tiger, they will always be there until you install a new set of Tiger textures. The game can ONLY pull texture files from the BMP folder (PC) or Graphics 13 file (Mac) for display. If they are there it will display them, if not, it won't. The game can not and will not display some other graphic that is not there. Some people seem to think that their computer is displaying older graphics due to VRAM limitations or whatever, it is not. How can it? The truth of the matter is that the computer or video card may be down-sampling the texture size of something.

For example, for the winter German helmet (a mod, BTW) is usually white. Well when you pull back from it it turns back to black for some reason. This is the only texture that I see doing this.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII