Don't Fall into the SMG Gap: Part Deux

Lewis quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Is there a single 'roll' for an instant in time when multiple mixed unit types are trying to spot an enemy in LOS?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve sez:

Sortof. As I said before, I didn't remember exactly how it works so I asked charles. Basically, the highest spotting value "wins". For example, various spottings of a single Enemy unit over time...

Unit A spots Enemy unit with value 10 - Enemy unit's spot value goes to 10.

Unit B spots Enemy unit with value 20 - Enemy unit's spot value goes to 20.

Unit C spots Enemy unit with value 10 - Enemy unit's spot value remains at 20.

The current spotting value determines what the friendly side gets to see/know about the Enemy unit.

Each x seconds every unit's spotting value is knocked down (dunno how much or how often). This means that there has to be a continual spotting of the Enemy unit to keep it marked on the map. So assuming the Enemy unit cited above loses 10 spotting points, and the next friendly unit spots at 20, then the new value is 20. If no friendly units spot, or spot weaker than 10, then 10 is the number. This is how units can disappear off the map. However, when they reappear they do so at the highest level of Intelligence that it was last indexed to. This is not something that can be changed effectively until we move to Relative Spotting (i.e. downgrading Intel).

Steve

Well considering the stripping of info taking place and the "gang spotting" going on, may I suggest the following?

1. First unit spots target, spot goes to 10

2. Second unit spots target with 20, average (10+20)/2=15

3. Third unit spots with 25. average(25+15)/2=20

This cant be beyond coding to do a running average type update. The info is still on the spottee side and impact to the game engine is minimal. In the case of vehicles, it would still allow the spotting of vehicles but not the glut of vehicle info.

Lewis

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: Username ]