Basic: Ammo question

I read some material here and there, from newsgroups, forums and some books. May be I have never fired a real gun or served in military service. The problem for me is I am not draw up a complete picture of what exactly are all ammo types of every weapons, such as "FMJ" (full metal jacket), "APC" (armor piecing core?), "APFSDS" (armor piecing, fin-stablized, discard sabot), etc.

Could anyone post or point to resources where I can have comprehensive references on ammo, especially for the peroid CMBO.

Thanks in adv.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest Michael emrys

Well, for starters, full metal jacket refers to rifle rounds. The lead is completely enclosed in a steel casing to prevent it from expanding/disintegrating when it strikes flesh. This is part of the Geneva Convention IIRC, and was done for humanitarian reasons.

APC means Armor Piercing Capped. A cap (of somewhat softer metal I believe) is placed on the nose of an armor piercing shot to aid penetration by reducing riccochets.

APDSFS is fin stabilized because it is intended to be fired from a smoothbore tube and therefore does not receive the stabilizing spin that a rifled tube would impart. I assume the discarding sabot part you already know about by now.

Now Rex will post pointing out that all the foregoing is total malarky.

biggrin.gif

Michael

Thanks for the info.

I think I need more, not only infantry weapon, but others too.

The problem is: many references are about the weapon itself but very little on the ammo, e.g. "US Infantry Weapon of WWII" talks a lot about the weapon used but the author(s) assume the readers have some understanding about ammo.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"