CM2 suggestion- tactics/bckgrnd/unit info on CD?

hi there,

When I bought CM i wasn't really prepared for how in depth the game is. I've learned alot about the kind of tactics and weapons that were used in WWII on the western front. I find the scenario briefings, the historical aspect, really interesting.

There's alot of stuff on the combat mission sites about tactics, units, and such.

I was wondering if BTS had any plans to put some of that sort of thing on the CM2 CD in pdf or simpletext or something?

There are a lot of so called 'grognards' who have a wealth of knowledge on this stuff that could be both interesting and useful to have on the CD, both from an educational and game play standpoint.

Files on Soviet tactics (run straight at the machine gun) and German tactics (run at an oblique angle at the machine gun) would be useful. The stuff on the net detailing proper infantry tactics would be great to have on the CD. How do you advance across a flat, open plain without cover towards entrenched enemy troops? My answer would be with a lot of casualties.

I know this sort of thing would appear on the net afterwards anyway, but it would be awesome to have it all in one resource area. Even some of the best files on infantry tactics and tank tactics in CM 1 would be good to have.

thnx for listening, and looking forward to fighting on the Ostfront!

kunstler

Seeing as how all the info can be found on the net, I suggest BTS just provides links for this info on the CD. That way, they wouldnt have to write any document/break copyrights by putting it on their CD smile.gif

Oh yeah, and Soviet tactics were made to be just as complex and educated as German ones - the reasons your little example happened is because when you give a farmer a pretty badge and tell him he's now a Luitenant, doesnt mean ke knows s@it about what to do in a combat situation. Purges do things like that, y'know.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

> Purges do things like that, y'know.

Massive mobilisation in what still was a largely peasant country, rather. After losing the bulk of regular military in summer '41 disaster. Severe lack of heavy weapons and ammunition for them, too.

In more than a few cases, the lack of artillery support made the infantry assault (with corresponding heavy losses) the only viable tactical option available (as compared to sitting still, or withdrawing). It is just natural that a private grunt who was lucky enough to survive the horror of it will always complain that it was unimportant hill, or village, or what-not. Well, the batallion commander who ordered it usually knows better. To judge soviet commanders' abilities, it is worth remembering who won the war.

These so-called "military purges" were not nearly as large as advertised, besides they did not involve many officers from regimental level down. Incomparably (say, 100 times) bigger numbers of them were killed in the first few months of the war.

[This message has been edited by Skipper (edited 02-05-2001).]