Internal armor flaking question

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Is this accumulative in the game? I mean does a tank for example actually get weaker for lack of a better word each time it gets hit and this condition occurs? Just wondering. Anybody know?

\

Firing tests usually assume that hits separated by at least three or so projectile diameters do not influence one another. Armor flaking occurs when a round almost gets completely through, and the armor ductility is not quite up to par, and the armor fragments on the inside and breaks off some flecks or pieces.

Since armor ductility can vary by quite a bit from point to point, and hits far from each other are considered independent in effect, I would guess that armor flaking is not a cumulative thing as a general rule as long as the hits are random and spread out.

Armor flaking can vary from bits of paint to fairly good sized chunks of steel flying about at a good velocity.

[ April 07, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: rexford ]

Lee,

In addition to this one might point out that individual hits are not traced in CMBO. Thus, the game engine has no idea of what exact spot you hit, and accordingly will not know if you hit the exact same spot again.

Again hijacking your thread ;) I am still curious about the rate of gun damage. I know this has been debated since the dawn of CMBO, but I still cannot say I have found reasonable answer personally. I seem unable to find contemporary accounts justifying the rate of destruction, even if the damage as such stands to reason on a purely logical basis. As we might still be having Mr Rexfords attention, I wanted to ask his opinion of this.

Regards

Dandelion

Dandelion - what the hell did you just ask? :(smile.gif I've read it 3 times and still don't understand what you are asking. Course I am not the one you asked but if Rexford does answer and unless he gives some insight as to what the question was I'm not going to understand the answer and it sounds like a good question - I guess? :confused: smile.gif You know me well enough not to think that I am trying to be cute or a wise guy just honestly not getting the question. Course could be it's just over my head. :confused: Also Dandelion thanks for that extra info. on how the game looks at hits. That answered my question as far as the game goes and is what I wanted to know. Oh and no problem hi-jacking the post. ;)

[ April 08, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: lcm1947 ]

1. Know what gun damage means. It can be any part of the weapon systems, including optics, the gun, a turret jam, etc. It is not only a hit to the gun.

2. Those of us that went to the Patton Museum saw bunches or armor with gun hits. Maybe some of the guys will post pictures, or I can send some to be posted if people have a web site.

Rune

Klapton,

My latest record in the mailbox is the 10b that I sent to you. Did you receive it? Should I send it again?

About gun damage, thinking about it logically, there would be a lot of that. Gun and optics present comparatively soft and vulnerable targets, easily damaged even by shrapnel. My quest if for some source elucidating on the subject, describing frequencies, types of damage and replacement/repair systems.

Yours truly

Dandelion

Got it. Thanks Klapton. I was having a problem with the frequent times I've seen "Gun Hit" in the games and was a little troubled by it but now that I see some answers here it makes more sense and I can live with it mcuh better. So thanks for the input.