Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Webmaster wanted for The Last Defense

Over the summer, I probably won't have ready access to a computer. I'll either be fishing or living where I won't have a computer. In any case, I won't be able to make any updates to The Last Defense. Rather than let the website stagnate, I have decided to let somebody else take it over for the summer. I would prefer someone with a little experience at managing a website, as the structure of The Last Defense has gotten fairly complicated by now. If this is your second CM website, that's alright, as long as the two sites don't merge.

If anyone's interested, the job includes:

• Posting new scenarios and mods at least once a week. I've been updating it every 1-3 days, but I don't really expect that level of commitment.

• Setting up new Angelfire accounts to handle site expansion. 50 megs per account gets used up quickly when hosting hires terrain mods, hence the complicated structure.

• Making sure links, both internal and external, stay valid and reasonably current.

• Updating to support CM2 if necessary.

The Last Defense is a very low budget ($0) operation, so I can't afford to pay anyone to do this. The only reward will be the admiration and praise of your fellow CM players. However, feel free to host banner ads on The Last Defense. I made a bit of pizza money clicking on my own banners, so it is possible to profit from this job.

If anyone is interested, email me or post in this thread so I can teach you how to run The Last Defense. I'll probably need the replacement webmaster by the end of the month.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants the job.

-109 Gustav

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

I'm new to this web page mastering thingy stuff but I would like to get into it. I do VB and database programing for a living and know a bit of HTML when I see it.

If your worried I could email the new pages to you before I post them.

I've been to your WEB site and downloaded that metal skiff with salmon in it mod, and checked out the funny thread page, just loved that M42A (Minute to Whoosh 4, Actual minutes to Whoosh 2) post.

Man wheres that spell checker gone. :(

Plank

Email w_moran@hotmail.com

Originally posted by PlankWithANailIn:

I'm new to this web page mastering thingy stuff but I would like to get into it. I do VB and database programing for a living and know a bit of HTML when I see it.

If you become the webmaster, how do you plan on doing updates? Do you know enough raw HTML to do it that way, or do you have a drag and drop page editor such as Pagemill? Remember, it took me two months of learning to get The Last Defense this far, so there's probably going to be a pretty steep learning curve for a beginner.

Also, do you have any experience with FTP? Not too complicated, but one more thing to worry about. I'm not trying to discourage you too much here, just trying to find out if you're qualified.

If your worried I could email the new pages to you before I post them.

That's exactly why I'm worried- I won't be able to recieve email either. I have to be able to trust someone else to do this without my help or advice for at least three months. And I don't really want my website to fill up with spelling and grammar errors. smile.gif

I've been to your WEB site and downloaded that metal skiff with salmon in it mod, and checked out the funny thread page, just loved that M42A (Minute to Whoosh 4, Actual minutes to Whoosh 2) post.

That's very nice, thanks for visiting.

And by the way, how come Madmatt got so many volunteers to help with CMHQ when he asked?

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

And by the way, how come Madmatt got so many volunteers to help with CMHQ when he asked?

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maby because CMHQ is the King/God of CM sites?

I would help but I get told "you loser get lost' if someone other then me make a mistake its "don't wory about it." tongue.gif

Don't get discouraged too fast. I'm sure you'd do a good job. (Although the link in your sig is broken, which may not be a good sign.)

And how come CMHQ is the god of CM sites? I do updates more frequently than Madmatt, and I don't see an archive of the best threads from this fourm on his website. smile.gif

Well its not you its just CMHQ has always been around you and I both know that...I bet it was one of the first CM sites not run by BTS. The link is broken because that site doesn't exist any more. Its of the old format I am working on a new one And I forgot to change my sig. But If you need someone I guess I could help in that time but I will be away sometimes during the summer as well so who knows. :cool: