Recon...To Scout or not to Scout?

Ive been reading a few articles about tactics in CM, and although many are written by qualified and experianced people, they often contridict eachother. These articles are in CMHQ BTW. One, written by an actuall military officer, says that recon is a waste of forces, and isnt nessessary on the CM battlefield. Another, well researched well written article says that proper recon is essential to winning,citing that knowledge of the enemy position is key to victory.

Its been MY experience that recon is important, in the proper situations. First, I consider the info given to me by the briefing. This, obviosly doesnt work for QBs, which I play the most anyways, and the typical breifing doesnt give you the type of info you need, things like aerial recon, intercepted radio transmissions, ect...Secondly, do I have the proper units available, and are they worth risking? If it is a large battle, I will almost always spare a jeep MG or split squad to recon. Just today I played a Normandy scenario( which was excellent, thank you for making it) and i sent a split squad deep into each flank. One running into a ambush from a german platoon that certainly would have caused greater losses, had I not know of it, and the other running into a 88mm Flack, eliminating it. This guns placement in the far western flank and wouldve gotten the drop on two Sherms in a few minutes, killing one at least, it was in perfect position. But thanks to my handy-dandy team, it was waxed without firing a shot.

There was also the time I thought I should recon en force up one flank, with a pair of M8s and a jeep MG, and spearhead up the other with the bulk of armour and inf. This was a big mistake. A shreck' toasted the one M8, and the jeep and remaining 'hound were killed by SP guns and a Panther, respectively. I didnt get all the info that I needed, it did however, distact the SP long enough for a Sherm to kill it from across the way. The bulk of the jerry armour popped up in the next move, and decimated my force in short order. Had I those recon element backing up my Inf, it may have been different.

So what say you, mighty Grog? What are your rules and tactics, your doctrines and disciplines?

Oh, yeah, Also, how does one become amember as opposed to a Juinior Member?

And yes, I tried the search, and no, it didnt work.....

Thanks for your input in advance. :D

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thorough, and from the source. That was the first thread Ive read directly from BTS. They're not around much anymore, but Id geuss that designing a game better than CM would occupy ones time.