Smoke order BUG in CM v.1.1

I was playing this PBEM when I noticed this bug/AI flaw, my tank cancelled smoke order becouse he spotted infantry troops in 900 m ??? Situation was this: I was giving smoke order to one of my Shermans for supporting infantry movement in open in 700m. So when turn starts, he cancelled my smoke order immediatly and starts shooting with MG and with main gun at infantry in 900m, what is this? Even one smoke round would helped my infantry to survive in open, now they get battered heavily by enemy fire, and without smoke support. Could computers AI be modified so that it gives one round smoke even whatever situation and then starts doing what ever AI thinks is good to do?

I don't think this is really a bug, but it is annoying. Basicly, vehicles will only carry out smoke orders you give them if there are no other targets in sight for them to shoot at. If there are, they will cancel your smoke order and start blazing away.

Smoke usage is supposed to get a tweak in the next patch. It would be nice if they changed this.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

I just had a different, but strange, smoke-related occurrence in a PBEM I’m playing. I had two 81mm artillery spotters lay down a sum total of about 80 rounds of smoke shells over two turns, and NO SMOKE APPEARED.

I’m certain that that it was a smoke order as opposed to regular rounds, as their targeting lines showed up as gray (and I kept adjusting the target with hotkey “k”). And even more than 90 seconds after the first rounds fell, no smoke. The weather was clear and ground conditions dry.

So now Gremlin will be grinding me into a pulp even more than he would have otherwise.

Anyone else have this happen with FO’s?

Olle,

I’m going to see my boss right this second to submit a leave slip, and then running home to check out your theory. I do remember screwing with the smoke settings a few PBEM’s ago, but I think left the smoke graphics on high res.

But if I have the smoke graphics turned off and expended extra shells for nothing, someone’s gonna pay for this!!! (Namely me.)

Actually, I can't go home now so I'll be obsessing over this for the next 10 hours.

Jess

[This message has been edited by JessRobinson (edited 02-07-2001).]

I think this is pretty much true, but not a bug, yet annoying. I had a 251/9 which I gave smoke orders to where it was to lay three rounds of smoke to its left, but because infantry began to fire on it from its right, it ignored the smoke order and returned fire on the enemy infantry at 200m. Problem was it not endangered by the enemy infantry, and its return fire wasn't conclusive against the infantry, but the lack of smoke where it was needed was most bothersome.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)