Ghosts of Napoleon

Just completed a "Huge" Operation game with 8 playable battles of 20+ turns.

Depicts the battle during Barbarossa for the bridges at Borisov, which Napoleon's men had retreated across in 1812. The German Panzers meet the T-34 for the first time.

Everbody's favourite - historical game with a long historical breifing just to keep everthing on the straight and narrow.

Intended to be played singly from the German point of view. But has been tested for two player for a large e-mail campaign. However we feel it needs a bit more polishing and are releasing it as a test version.

The game map uses all the unpublished Advanced Squad Leader maps that were to be used for games set in the Borisov region.

Designed jointly by Mark Gallear and Brian Martuzas an ex-Avalon Hill Squad Leader designer, with Carl Nogueira another Advanced Squad Leader designer for testing it. Special thanks to Carl for sending the maps all the way to the UK from the US.

Available for download from Mod Corner and the Proving Grounds for download and extra discussion.

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details_link.html?sku=285

DESIGNER NOTES AND MINI-SPOILER

This is the second installment of the Borisov op trilogy, the first is "Return To Borisov". The third installment may have to await the arrival of CMx2--whenever that will be, as it will involve Partisans. Without horses, motorcycles, armored trains (will these EVER see their use in ANY game) and bridge demolitions, the current engine, IMHO, will not allow for a decent Partisan sweep operation.

"Ghosts" was born from my old ASL friend Larry Winslow's proposed HASL (Historical Advanced Squad Leader) module "Battles for Borisoff (German spelling). Inspired by the classic SL scenario #20 Breakout From Borisov" (which still remains my all time favorite SL/ASL scenario), Larry and I worked on this project over six years ago. Armed with a detailed German topographical map we almost had this module completed, then real life took over and shelved the project. Now, it has been rehatched in a CM mode. ASL vet has reproduced a faithful version (sans the T-28s) and that too, is a great battle. However, the actual battle for Borisov was HUGE. Hence this op.

NOW FOR THE SMALL SPOILER........................

If you love early war armor battles on the Eastern Front, then this one may be to your liking. You will not find, IMHO, any battle or op that has so much armor! Here is a chance to use almost ALL of the early war Russian tincans, save but a few. Included is the obscure T-26 Artillery tank, as well as the OT flame. It also uses every BT model. Later, the T-34s and KV 2s arrive, and as the German player (recommended against the AI) you will face a serious challenge in dealing with these leviathans. You do get a couple of 88s later, but getting these things away from the Russian Borg artillery spotter is the problem.

Additionally, the German player's main battle tank is the MKIIIF with its 37mm popgun. How the Germans were able to steamroll the Russian Front with these pea-shooters is a miracle. You will notice that even against the T-26 Ekr tank, the 37 gun will have problems. Want a challenge? You got it. For two player, have the experienced player play the German.

This op brings me much satisfaction. I have always wanted a sweeping tank battle a la Kursk with early war tanks. I think we succeeded.

I hope you enjoy this, as Mark and I have more battles and ops to contribute in the future. Being a ravenous modslut, I need to give something BACK to the CM community.

Now for some CMAK ops... :D