Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Offensive capability of sharpshooters

Originally posted by PeateyK:

Being that they are sharp-shooters, can they snipe? (like killing a tank commander from 200m)

Yep. And Platoon and Company HQs, and heavy weapons crews. The best thing to do is usually not assign them targets, and not try to shoot from too close (less than 100m)-- they don't want to get spotted. They're great on the flanks (or outside the flanks) of the defense, so that any force coming around the side will lose some of its leaders.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Guest Andrew Hedges

I haven't had much luck with the single sharpshooters I've generally bought as a way to fill up my point allotment. But I recently purchased a Fusilier company -- which comes with 6 sharpshooters -- and was amazed how effective they were when used in that number as skirmishers.

Part of their effectiveness may have come about because I was attacking in a "probe" scenario; they tended to fire at units who were moving to reinforce the area where I was attacking and pin the units down, button up the tanks, etc. They probably would have been less effective in a meeting engagement where the first thing they would hit would be enemy infantry.

I do wonder how grouping three sharpshooters together to be used in an anti-mortar, anti-MG role might work. Has anyone tried this?

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I haven't had much luck with the single sharpshooters I've generally bought as a way to fill up my point allotment. But I recently purchased a Fusilier company -- which comes with 6 sharpshooters -- and was amazed how effective they were when used in that number as skirmishers.

Part of their effectiveness may have come about because I was attacking in a "probe" scenario; they tended to fire at units who were moving to reinforce the area where I was attacking and pin the units down, button up the tanks, etc. They probably would have been less effective in a meeting engagement where the first thing they would hit would be enemy infantry.

I do wonder how grouping three sharpshooters together to be used in an anti-mortar, anti-MG role might work. Has anyone tried this?

I have, but it was less than expected because their ammo gave out and they were hard to control (always going to ground). I have found they work better just leaving them in a nice place. They take their own risks and help take out high vaule targets.

Guest Michael emrys

Although I haven't used it extensively yet, I've tried using them as scouts. I send them out a turn or two ahead, one per platoon of infantry. Seem to work okay. Give them sneak commands when near suspected enemy deployment areas.

Michael