Future LOS

I know this is something that can't be done but wouldn't it be great if before moving your units you could get a LOS from the location you are moving to. Before anybody states that that is unrealistic let me say that it's really not. My reasoning is that in real life you can tell weather or not you'll be able to see thur a patch of trees or not or you'll be able to determine if you were standing over there that you could see over a hill without yourself being seen and shot. In the game it is impossible to tell if a certain area of trees will block your view or not or how high up a slope you can get before being able to see over it without being seen. Example: I am having trouble when I try to get close to say a tank when it's blocked by a group of trees so I move near it and BOOM! it shoots me. My point is you can't tell when you'll be able to see thur the trees or not and the same applies to hills. Any thoughts or comments welcome as I may learn something to improve my game.

I think the game as it stands works pretty well. You can get a fairly reasonable idea by going to view level 1 and moving the viewpoint to the location you want to move to (though I admit I find the trees a bit troublesome to work out).

Possibly an idea would be to extend the tank hunt command to certain infantry units - perhaps calling it 'sneak/crawl/move to contact' or something, so that as soon as they spot the enemy they stop moving (but not open fire like with the hunt command). Hopefully the enemy won't have spotted you too of course, but with the sneak and crawl commands it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It wouldn't elminate accidents completely, just enough so that it wasn't embarasssing!

Have fun

Finn

Icm,

it was a design decision from BTS to not implement LOS checks from planned movement positions.

There were some discussions about this topic in the past, but most agreed, that it would be to unrealistic (as the LOS tool is always exact and correct).

After playing the game for some time, you really don't miss such an option. With some experience (some try-and-error) you get a 'feeling' for ranges and LOS situations, especially when using view 1.

Fred

I agree with Fred. CM is actually very accomodating in giving a possible LOS from a proposed position. Hold the CTRL key down while left clicking on the map places you at a first person perspective at that position. Once there, hit the "1" key for a head level view in any direction. It isn't totally exact but it probably affords a better indication of LOS than what actually would in the real world.

Still not satisfied? Send out a recon patrol. I think CM is already as realistic as one needs for the offset LOS guess.