CMII vs. CM2

I haven't been on the forum much lately but have been involved with CM for a long time. Now that I have kind of returned to the forum, I am kind of confused about what is going on with the CM2 vs CMII thing. I did a search, and I got results, but they didn't really make me feel certain about what is going on.

So, what is CMII, and when does it come about? Before anyone pounces me about asking about dates, I mean relative to everything else. In other words after CM2, 3, and 4 or sometime in-between?

CM2 is the Eastern Front, the next installment in the CM series.

CM II will be the new engine, totally rewritten. CM 3 and 4, Africa and Blitzkrieg, along with any other CMs, will be based on this engine.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Rick,

What the others say about the distinction between CM2 and CMII is correct.

Some stuff picked off the "Graphic" post by Gunny Bunny, said by Steve himself.

Steve mentioned that many of today's "high tech" effects would probably be included in CMII. These are not possible in the current engine.

CMII would have a minimum of 32MG VRAM to run (Steve, if Im mistaken, feel free to wallop me with something heavy wink.gif ).

CMII will be a long way from now. Probably 2 years or more. By then, you should have ample time to sufficiently upgrade your machine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

If it's going to require that kind of video acceleration, I will definitely need to do some upgrading. It will be quite interesting to see the changes.

Are they going to return to Northwest Europe post 8/44 or are they going to make these changes with the planned CM3 and move on?

CMII would have a minimum of 32MG VRAM to run (Steve, if Im mistaken, feel free to wallop me with something heavy wink.gif ).

While Steve hunts around for a two-by-four, I remember he said that the minimum would be 16MB with a recommendation for 32MB.

Or was that for CM2?

------------------

Two Rules to Live By:

1. Never Get Out of the Boat.

2. Charlie Doesn't Surf.

Well, If they make CMII a WWII game(which I hope they do, modern stuff doesn't thrill me and would probably be more complex to pull off) I hope they just combine all theatres into one game ala SPWAW. And have it with ALL the hardware. even those cute little Polish Tankettes.....Then we could have all sorts of Hypothetical fun......Pershings versus IS-3s.....Vichy French Versus really lost Bulgarian Partisans..........OOOOHHHHH imagine the glory of it all........<drooling, slurping noises>

excuse me, i must now wipe.....

------------------

"Life is pain. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something."

Originally posted by The Commissar:

Nope, looks like Im safe for now. The 16MB min is for CM2, not CMII. *whew* wink.gif

I think what BTS is saying is that CM2:Eastern Front will contain Hi-Res textures which will require at least a 16MB card but preferably a 32MB one.

I know I will probably be getting at least a 64MB card by then, because my TNT2 is getting outdated as it is.