Turning those preview thumbnails in Explorer OFF

Can some Windows savy person HELP?

I took a suggestion offered here a week or 2 ago to "Enable Thumbnails" in Windows Explorer to see thumbnails of the BMPs. Since I prefer "detail" view, the thumbnails were too small to be of any value, so after having a look, I deselected it - but it won't GO AWAY!

Now, whenever I look into any of my several BMP directories (do it all the time in mod testing), I am waiting while my hard drive loads the 1,600+ useless little multicolor squares.

ACK!! How do I make them GO AWAY? I've deselected "Enable Thumbnails" in Explorer, rebooted several times in the last 2 weeks, and cleaned temp files off my hard drive, but they are still there.

- Old Dog (hopes this won't be a Registry thing)

???

I assume you are referring to the images you get when you have the "view" option of "as webpage" turned on? If so go to view and click off the "as webpage". You will probably have to set this as the default look by going into "view" , "Folder options", "view" and click the "like current folder" button.

Pud

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Can some Windows savy person HELP?

I took a suggestion offered here a week or 2 ago to "Enable Thumbnails" in Windows Explorer to see thumbnails of the BMPs. Since I prefer "detail" view, the thumbnails were too small to be of any value, so after having a look, I deselected it - but it won't GO AWAY!

Now, whenever I look into any of my several BMP directories (do it all the time in mod testing), I am waiting while my hard drive loads the 1,600+ useless little multicolor squares.

ACK!! How do I make them GO AWAY? I've deselected "Enable Thumbnails" in Explorer, rebooted several times in the last 2 weeks, and cleaned temp files off my hard drive, but they are still there.

- Old Dog (hopes this won't be a Registry thing)

ack, sorry you didn't like it...i'm pretty sure that was my suggestion...

goto the COMBAT MISSION folder that lists the BMP, WAV, SCENARIO, etc. folders.

right click the BMP directory

select "Properties"

a window pops up, near the bottom it should say "Enable Thumbnail View"

de select it and hit "Apply" then OK. that should stop it.

HTH

oh and like mentioned above, go to "View" of Windows Explorer and select "Details".

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 03-09-2001).]

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, but no luck so far... frown.gif

Pud, I mean the tiny thumbnails that show in the directory listing on the right side of Windows Explorer. Not viewing as webpage, and tried resetting all folders to defaults and rebooting, then resetting all folders to my preference (no web-look, Classic Windows but with file details) and rebooting again. Nope...

Papa, I checked for any index or .dbf or .dat files, but none in any of the CM BMP folders. So, nope...

Mark IV, running Windows 98SE.

Russellmz, I blame you entirely biggrin.gif I have unchecked "Enable Thumbnails" on all the folders that have BMPs and rebooted. No luck, so, nope...

I do think there has got to be an index file or some data stored somewhere that is doing this (inside an INI file perhaps?), but I haven't found it yet, and I've prowled most of the nooks and crannies on my HD.

The search continues...

- Old Dog

so your saying is that what your thumbnails all come up at once? I was about to format because for some reason I couldnt view my thumbnails as a webpage anymore and I needed to be able to see all my asian chicas!!

hehe Anyways, me and a friend mucked around in regedit and fixed it-you could maybe do the opposite.

What you could do as a stopgap measure is switch to View as Webpage perhaps? That way you should only get one picture at a time

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, but no luck so far... frown.gif

Pud, I mean the tiny thumbnails that show in the directory listing on the right side of Windows Explorer. Not viewing as webpage, and tried resetting all folders to defaults and rebooting, then resetting all folders to my preference (no web-look, Classic Windows but with file details) and rebooting again. Nope...

Papa, I checked for any index or .dbf or .dat files, but none in any of the CM BMP folders. So, nope...

Mark IV, running Windows 98SE.

Russellmz, I blame you entirely biggrin.gif I have unchecked "Enable Thumbnails" on all the folders that have BMPs and rebooted. No luck, so, nope...

I do think there has got to be an index file or some data stored somewhere that is doing this (inside an INI file perhaps?), but I haven't found it yet, and I've prowled most of the nooks and crannies on my HD.

The search continues...

- Old Dog

before you do anything else...

do the thing i mentioned above, and de-select Enable Thumbnail View

now in the BMP directory go to "View" and choose Details. this gets rid of the thumbnail view right? you didn't just reboot right away? (that may not be good smile.gif)

now go to any normal directory WITHOUT THE THUMBNAIL VIEW NOW.

go to "View" > Folder Options

make sure "Remember each folder's view settings" option is selected in the middle white window

and choose "Like Current Folder" at top to make all you folders normal(hopefully)

hth

--------

if even that doesn't work try this as a LAST LAST LAST LAST LAST LAST resort:

outflank win98

make a directory "russellmz screwed my system" in you COMBAT MISSION folder.

copy your bmp files from BMP there, BUT not the desktop.INI file!

choose "View" > Details, and make sure Enable Thumbnail View is not selected in Properties

copy you bmp files there.

delete your old BMP directory.

rename "russellmz screwed my system" to BMP

--------

hope that helps

------------------

russellmz,

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

What??? You don't like that? I prefer that so I can see at a glance to what a bmp is before I load it up into a different program.

I'm assuming you are talking about when you go to My Computer and you select a folder and a little preview pops up on the left side. If so, what's wrong with that? If this is not what you're talking about, then oops. wink.gif

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

Originally posted by russellmz:

...do the thing i mentioned above, and de-select Enable Thumbnail View

now in the BMP directory go to "View" and choose Details. this gets rid of the thumbnail view right?

Wrong biggrin.gif

Just to make sure I am being clear, when I say "thumbnails" I am talking all 1600+ BMPs are thumbnailed at once in the detail file listing, instead of the generic little "BMP" icons I used to have there next to each file name.

Originally posted by russellmz:

if even that doesn't work try this as a LAST LAST LAST LAST LAST LAST resort:

outflank win98

make a directory "russellmz screwed my system" in you COMBAT MISSION folder.

copy your bmp files from BMP there, BUT not the desktop.INI file!

choose "View" > Details, and make sure Enable Thumbnail View is not selected in Properties

copy you bmp files there.

delete your old BMP directory.

rename "russellmz screwed my system" to BMP

--------

hope that helps

Nope... When I make a new "Russell" biggrin.gif folder and copy a couple dozen BMPs into it (nothing else), then go to the folder in Explorer, each file listed has a different tiny picture next to it in the file listing.

I think probably Canuck is closest to right, Registry needs a kick in the a$$, but I'm not Regedit fluent.

No big deal really, it's just irritating when I change something and can't change it back. I think I liked DOS 6.2 better (Dog thinks about trying to free up XMS and/or EMS memory for each game, and then reconsiders).

Max, not large useful pics on the left, but little useless ones (literally over a thousand of them at once) next to each file name on the right in Explorer.

Thanks all anyway... if anyone knows what to change using Regedit or whatever, give a shout, maybe I'll brave it. cool.gif

- Old Dog

Edit to fix stuff that was wrong...

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 03-09-2001).]

arghhhh...gates strikes again..

one last thing try list view then details...

i don't know why when choosing details you are still in thumbnail view...

sorry bout the trouble

frown.gif

?confused?

------------------

russellmz,