Suppression vs Morale

As far as I can tell, CM only simulates morale states, and bases the suppression off of that. That leads to odd situations in which a panicked unit runs to the rear, and starts to recover, and becomes "pinned" despite not being anywhere near fire. It seems to work well enough.. but, I think it might be beneficial to have seperate morale states - If a vet unit comes under sudden heavy fire, their suppression state can go high - and they don't fire as often, but their morale stays high, too, and they're less likely to flee. As it is now, I think, their likliness to flee is tied inversely proportionally to their likliness to fire back, which isn't necesarily the case. So I'd like, for CM 2, to see a seperate state for morale and suppression. Thoughts?

I don't think this is needed. The higher quality units don't go as "deep" down the chain for the same incoming fire, and recovery back to the upper states is faster, the shallower the "dip". Changes are also modified by commanders.

You should not look at the system as one that is operating only in discrete steps at the moment of fire. Units recover, the state is dynamic. A unit that is pushed to "pinned", then rapidly back to cautious, and "alerted" by the end of the turn, was momentarily suppressed and nothing further.

It works better than you might think. Watch a whole small firefight, platoon level, and I think you will see there is more dipping and recovery - suppression - going on, than just looking at the end of the minute would lead you to think.