Not a very serious thread

Is it just me who thinks the commercial for CMBB flashing on this site is hilarious?

"Hitler stormed across Europe".

It is probably just me, but I can't help but picturing this tiny man in his too large coat, boots and hat, with his little moustache, running like hell with a determined look on his face, all across the Flanders, the Balkan mountains, the Galician fields...

It's a little like when they write "Saddam fired missiles against Kuwait". I can't help but seeing this admittedly larger guy laboring with this huge missile in sweat and rage, trying to get it onto the racks...

Is it just me laughing my stockings off at these farcical scenes?

What, is it improper to mention who the guys who actually stormed across Europe actually were nowadays? Then how about "War" raged across Europe?

Or be plain. "The Nazis", "The Germans", "The Central Powers", "Most of Central, Southern and Southeastern Europe as well as part of Northern Europe" in fact almost all of Europe stormed across Europe.

Or why not the Anglo-cute "The Jerries" stormed across ladidadi? ;) Well perhaps that takes the drama out of it a bit.

Say, "The Huns" stormed across ladidadi. Although I've never grasped what ethnic connection there ever was between the Germans and the Huns.

Or how about the Roman connection: "Hitlers legions" or the "Nazi Empire". Makes them sound both dramatic and bad guy-ish without actually pointing any finger at anyone. Except Hitler.

Or the US/Religious touch, "Forces of Evil" or "Empire of Evil" or "Tide of Darkness" type of subtitle. Definately makes them sound very bad guy-ish.

Of course, CMBO should have had an equivalent flash. "Roosevelt storms ashore at Omaha Beach", "Churchill drops all over Arnhem", "De Gaulle eliminates the Colmar pocket", "Hitler takes a beating in the ruins of Caen".

Sorry, it is improper to laugh at ones own jokes.

Just a thought.

Dandelion

"Churchill drops all over Arnhem",

Now that is funny Dandelion and this one;

"Hitler stormed across Europe".

is equally funny. I never actually thought about it but have of course seen stuff like this but now that you mention it I too can picture Hitler with his mad face on running across Europe. Let me ask you Dandelion - what have we been smoking tonight? :D Also since you brought it up why did they call Germans Huns?

:D Well I've never dared to try any of them smokes. Always been afraid that I'd like it too much. I'm just naturally imaginative and excitable.

If I am not mistaken, the British started calling the Germans "The Huns" during the early stages of WWI. The only reason I ever heard of was the behavior of the German troops, especially in Belgium. There were rumors of them being mean to the Belgians, burning homes and raping nuns. They were likened to the Huns, and then it stuck. I've met Englishmen seriously believing the Huns were a Germannic tribe (and that the English were not).

But I also never really got it. The Angles and Saxons (or Jutes) were never part of the wars against the Huns. Nor were any celts. So why would these horsemen be a living part of English tradition? The Germannic tribes, on the other hand, were either defeated and enslaved (Ostrogoth, some Burgundians, Heruleans etc) or victims of genocide (the Worms Burgundians). Or, they took part in the defeat of the Huns (Visigoth, some surviving Burgundians, the Franks etc), paying a heavy price. So the Huns are a natural part of German tradition (the bad part, in "Niebelungenlied").

Maybe the English simply wanted to hurt their feelings. I am not sure what the equivalent insult would have been. Maybe to call Lloyd George "Mordred" or something.

Regards

Dandelion

Thanks for the brief history lesson Dandelion. Well now I know why the German's were called Huns , interesting. Not that it makes much sense like you pointed out. Maybe they were just trying to hurt their feeliing but they could have done a better job by calling them something like Sissy men or stupid heads. :D I kind of think Huns is pretty cool, not the people just the name itself.