59 Years ago and 57 year ago today

Here are a couple of points worthy of thought today.

On this date in 1942 the "Battle of Midway" had come to an end. The tide of war in the Pacific shifted completely.

No longer would the Japanese Navy run rampant throughout the Pacific. Nearly one-half of the Japanese carrier force was eliminated in one day (June 4th).

No more would the warriors of the Rising Sun control the course of the war in the east.

And 57 years ago today, The "Great Crusade" was in full swing as 8 Allied Divisions (5 seaborne, 3 airborne) swarmed into Normandy.

Omaha Beach (and others) was painted scarlet with the blood of so many fine young soldiers who under great duress and suffering took the beach.

Up until that time it was the greatest amphibious assault ever undertaken, though nearly a year later it would be overshadowed by the invasion of Okinawa.

Momentous times, momentous memories. It is worthy of reflection. Even as a small child living at that time I remember the jubilation of the free world at these turning points in the war.

Wild Bill

Excellent points, and ones we should all continue to remember.

Can you expound slightly on the differences between Normandy and Okinawa. I am sure I should know, but I thought that overall more men were delivered into Normandy than Okinawa.

Thanks,

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Speedbump:

Excellent points, and ones we should all continue to remember.

Can you expound slightly on the differences between Normandy and Okinawa. I am sure I should know, but I thought that overall more men were delivered into Normandy than Okinawa.

Thanks,

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know tons about Okinawa (though I had an uncle fighting there), but IIRC, the Japanese did not contest the beachhead in Okinawa (whereas the Germans certainly contested the Normandy beaches).

Normandy did involve more troops, I believe.