Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hamster on Hamster et al

Spoiler alert--We Fight and Die Here

I've been playing the operation "We Fight and Die Here" which, if you play as the Germans, should be called "Watch Out for the Artillery, Dude!". Anyway, on two separate occasions, SS HQ units have engaged their fellow hamsters! In both cases it was other HQ units that were targeted and it was just pistol shots with no effect. In both cases the HQ unit was firing on the enemy and turned to an adjacent HQ fired a few rounds and then returned to firing on the enemy. WTF! Will other units do this? Is this supposed to happen? I'm using v1.12.

Also during this game it seems that while my AFVs get bogged down if they go off-road (as the OP designer has warned) the allied units controlled by the AI cruise around off-road all the time and I have yet to see one get stuck. Is this an AI "cheat" or just my bad luck and the AIs good luck? Also, is the chance of being bogged related to movement type/speed? Are you more or less likely to get stuck if you're using move, fast, or hunt? Hell, I've had two AFVs get stuck ON the roads! Very frustrating.

------------------

Later, Dave

[This message has been edited by Sgt Fred (edited 02-13-2001).]

If it takes place at night, then troops will occasionally shoot at other friendly troops. The wonders of CM-- you can read all kinds of reports of that happening for real.

Bogging is allagedly related to speed-- fast is more likely to bog than move, but it also depends on the particular vehicle. I haven't done systematic tests, and there have been claims that speed doesn't make that much differenc. Try to have them bog where they'll be useful...

Also, please go back and edit in a "Spoiler alert--We Fight and Die Here" followed by a bunch of lines with just a single character on them.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Originally posted by chrisl:

If it takes place at night, then troops will occasionally shoot at other friendly troops. The wonders of CM-- you can read all kinds of reports of that happening for real.

Bogging is allagedly related to speed-- fast is more likely to bog than move, but it also depends on the particular vehicle. I haven't done systematic tests, and there have been claims that speed doesn't make that much differenc. Try to have them bog where they'll be useful...

It was a night action and I realize friendly fire is realistic (unfortunately I have personally been the target of friendly fire in the real world, 155mm HE). I just didn't expect it in CM because I've never seen it before. War is hell.

Also, please go back and edit in a "Spoiler alert--We Fight and Die Here" followed by a bunch of lines with just a single character on them.

OK. Done...sorry. I didn't think I had included anything that wasn't in the OP briefing.

------------------

Later, Dave