Chindit Weapons?

I was going through some websites on the Chindits the other day and I could not find anything on the light weapons they used (Personal small arms).

Does anyone happen to know what type of weapons the 'average' soldiers had at their disposal?

What do you mean by small arms ???

My Grandfather was in the Chindits,though he never talked much about that part of the war.

Most officers didn't carry small arms ( as in side arms ? ) pistols..As it marked them out as targets by Jap snipers....My Grandfather carried an M1 Carbine..That was in 1944. One of the most use weapons by Chindits was the Thompson 45 submachine gun or the Lee Enfield 303 rifle. Not sure if you mean't those small arms ??

:confused:

the Chindits (Burmese for "bandit") operated from about 1942-1944. It's a loose term as at various times SAS, Glider Troops, and Territorial Army battalions were deployed under Orde Wingate's command in Burma. They had pretty much the standard infantry kit for that period: LMG, Bren, Vickers, Sten and Thompson, 2" mortar. They weren't that diferently equipped except the arms were trimed down a little for jungle fighting: there's a cut-down Lee Enfield for example.

Keep in mind that the entire operation was resupplied by airborne drop, so to keep things simple they employed standard commonwealth small arms. An exotic weapon hundreds of miles behind enemy lines isn't going to do you much good if you can't get ammo.